WASTED TIME !

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by Mac-b, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    When you are drifting on your favorite lake or reservoir, do you just sit there and watch your rods? If you do, you are wasting a lot of valuable time that could benefit you then and later.

You should have a small note pad or an appointment type book , the kind with dates in them and you should record the time of day that you fish, weather conditions, water conditions (clarity and water temp), how many fish you caught and what time you caught them, the type of bait you were using, if you have GPS you should make note of the longitude and latitude at your best spots, take photo's of your sonar screen when you mark a lot of fish so you can study them later, etc. I know, you think you will be too busy fishing to do all this stuff, wrong, you will sit more than you will catch, I guarantee you that. Take note of things that you see along the shoreline, such as deposits of mussel shells, downed trees, brush piles that you pass over (they will be depicted on your sonar screen) or if you are fishing under low lake level conditions you can see the tops sticking out of the water. If you see a dock with some Driftmasters (rod holders) attached, that is a good sign that the owner of that dock is catching some blues or flats off his dock at night. Watch for limb lines or a lot of jugs in the area that you are fishing, because someone else has had success there or they would not go to the trouble and effort to place these items.

Now here is something else you should be doing while you are just drifting along, watching your catfish rods and doing your diary stuff. You should have a Sabiki Rig over the side bouncing off the bottom picking you up some fresh bait (white perch, bream and blue backs) or a 1/4 oz. Road Runner by Blakemore hanging off the side, a couple feet off the bottom, picking you up a big white perch, bass or crappie. Don't be surprised if a eating size blue, flathead or channel cat grabs that little old Road Runner. My largest fish to date doing this has been a 16 pound blue, 10 pound flathead, 14+ pound carp and a possible NC State record white crappie that I cut up for catfish bait. I and others have caught more white perch than we can count doing what I have described above and you can too, you just got to get in the habit of doing it. If you are taking your kids along or grandkids, this is a good way to keep them busy.

I know that some of you that are reading this are thinking, man that takes the fun out of fishing, but you would be wrong. Catching fish is what is fun, not waiting for them to bite. If you can remember everything I have mentioned above, then you would not need the diary, photo of your sonar screen and other stuff mentioned, but will you be able to remember it next year or the year after, I doubt it. To be successful a majority of the time you have to be prepared, this goes for fishing and other endeavors you will do in life. Give the foregoing a try and I bet you, you will become a better fisher person, increase your catch, have plenty of fresh bait on hand, plus maybe have some other species of fish in your cooler or live well.

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Excellant post. That right there is money in the bank type info. :wink:

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    ".....To be successful a majority of the time you have to be prepared, this goes for fishing and other endeavors you will do in life....."

So true, and if only more people realize and lived by this. :cool2:

4. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Mac great post. Words of wisdom.
    PeeDee Cat:wink:

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Great info there Mac.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    As always Mac, great post & great info, thanks.......:wink:

7. Jasongonefishing

Jasongonefishing New Member

State:
    McDonough,
    Great post, I have actually started to do this. I can't remember everything from each time I go out to fish. Thanks for the great post and info