Waste Wood

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by beetle, Feb 11, 2008.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is a good way to get rid of those small scrap pieces from projects if you have a lathe. The bowl is 9" diameter and is 5" deep. The bottom and top row of wood is walnut, pine, oak and poplar. The middle is all cedar. Makes a neat color and grain pattern using the different woods. A little oil rubbed on it and it will be done and ready to use.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Thats a neat looking bowl.

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that's pretty sweet lookin. good work

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Awesome Job!!! I have been thinkin about gettin a lathe.

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thats a beauty of a bowl.
    I sold my lathe a few years ago, due to the no time thing.
    There are times when I still kick myself for doing so.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice work,Roger,Thanks for the pics.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THATS BEAUTIFUL WORK , THANS FOR POSTING :cool2:

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are a lot of fun and wood is easier to come by for them. Scrap from projects glued up and someone is always trimming trees. A chain saw and a few chunks of wood and the fun begins.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't use mine much but that bowl lite the spark again. I'm working on a bench project and had some scraps laying around and glued some up while I was waiting for some of my panels to dry I chucked up the scrap and played a little while...I forgot how much fun bowls are to make. :roll_eyes:

10. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Roger, that is one sharp looking bowl. I love turning but I have never tried a bowl. You have inspired me to give it a try. Thanks for sharing buddy, you are truly talented.

11. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Hate to repeat what everyone is saying. But its true. Thats one sharp looking bowl!
    Good Job bro!
    ~Teddy

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    That's beautiful, Roger! How do you put'em together?

13. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Roger
    Beautiful Work...you need to market them!

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    That my friend, is a FINE lookin piece of art. Thanks

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Beautiful bowl. Another thing you can do with small pieces of scrap cedar is to make topwater lures for bass fishing...for yourself, or to sell. The basic shape of topwater lures can be turned out on a lathe, and then finished up with a minimum of hand shaping. Cedar lures generally sell for $15-$25 each; the target market is anyone who fishes for bass, stripers, muskies, pike, peacock bass, and a large number of saltwater species. Painting can be as plain as basic colors, or you can get inexpensive equipment to paint on fish scale patterns, etc. I generally painted mine some combo of white, red, & yellow, or a frog pattern.

16. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wow that some really nice work!!!

17. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio

I just cut them on my table saw, stacked them up on edge so they all are same size and arranged them to get the look I wanted. Glued them up and clamped them in three separate layers. Once dry I scraped the glue lines and ran them through my planer to give me a flat glue surface again. I made the blanks less than 12" because that is the size of my planer. Glued those three blanks and clamped them. Once that was dry, just cut my bowl blank on my band saw and chucked it on the lathe. All the scrap was from project cut offs that had all ready been jointed and planed I just needed one width for each layer to be the same. Doing bowls out of drop or scrap pieces gives the piece many different grain patterns and color arrangements. They are a whole lot of fun to do and you are not out buying wood just for a turning blank just using scrap from other projects. Now that I have the bowl wiped with a food grade oil the wood and grain really jumps out. Try it and enjoy yourself! I know a lot of people just throw away their scrap or burn it but they are missing out on some neat projects with little to no cost. If you have any other questions I will do my best to anwser them, I'm no pro just do woodworking as a hobby.

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi

im not seeing anything !!!!!!!!!where is the link or pic ????

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    he editied it long after the post. my guess. he cleaned out his pics. i did the same thing a while back. if you go into user pc and delete your pics in archives it will show an edit. most of my posts and pics from the past are gona as well.

20. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio

I'm sorry about removing the pictures Darryl. I am not sure what I did that would have removed them, I did not mean to do that. I will repost them for you.

Attached Files: