Waste of time/gas getting bait today at Wateree Dam?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, May 24, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am reading all these reports on how hard bait is to get right now and I am wondering if I want to waste the gas to go up to the Wateree dam tonight to catch shad. Can anyone tell me if its going to be worth while or is it going to be hit and miss? I am having a hell of a time getting shad down river and was hoping the dam would be a better spot, but I am second guessing that now.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am not sure havent been down there in a couple of weeks. they are more likely to let water off during the day so that may help also the bait seems to hang out more toward the middle of the river at night than during the day.

3. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well got up there and threw my net once and thought I hit the jackpot. Had probably 10 shad and 2 blue gills. And from then on it was just wasting my energy. Got 2 more blue gills and no more shad. Then some guy passing by told me there was a little pool up behind the platform that had a bunch of shad in it. Went and checked it out and sure enough was probably 20+ small shad. I grabbed a couple, but didn't want to be stingy since I figured a few of the hundred people out there were probably using them for bait as well. But anyway it was a good experience. I have been wanting to check out the dam for awhile now. I will know for next time when I get hung up on a rock its time to get wet. I broke 2 braille lines by pulling the snag out.

4. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Getting hung is a big problem at the dam. If you get hung on a rock, you can get it off - if it's stuck on a rock, not something jagged like a stump. Tie a treble hook to the line on your rod, and then tie the treble hook to the net rope with a twist tie, but tie it loosley. Then you let the treble hook slide down the rope and jig it some so that the hook catches on the top of the net, so it will pull up open. Then pull the net up with the rod, not the rope. Hope this saves you from getting wet some - and maybe a net, too!

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    That is a great idea. I will definitely give it a try next time out. I haven't tried fixing it yet, but when it comes time if the line isn't long enough to retie it what should I replace the lines with? I have some extra 50lb. Power Pro braid, would that be a viable temporary solution to get the net back in the water?

6. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    The PPB should do just fine. It's is more lax, more limber than regular monofliament, so that may get hung in the lead. But is should get your net up and working enough to catch bait.

7. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well apparently morning is prime blueback time. I didn't plan on catching this many so my apologizes to everyone. I ended up with 325 total. I only wanted enough for the rest of the weekend, but I guess I failed to realize how many was in the net each time. My guess was 6 dozen, but obviously I was way off. I will start counting them when I catch them from now on. I must say the cast net has definitely paid for itself all ready.

On a side note, what is the average size of a blueback? Most of the ones I got are around 5 inches I would say.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    are you sure they are bluebacks? I have only caught a few of those down there. most of what you catch are threadfins that get up to the size you caught or gizzard shad that get up towards 2 lbs.

9. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am wrong. I have never heard of a threadfin until now and looking at some pics that is what they are. There backs were all dark blue in color so I figured they were bluebacks.

10. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    r u going tonight if so where

11. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am going to the 378 bridge. I don't have a boat so options are very limited.

12. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Ever fished at the dam? Fresh bait, some nice blues. Good fishing all around. The crowd leaves at dark. That's where I'll be tonight, and I can help you with the cast net, show you some throwing tecniques, and where it's easier to catch your bait with out getting hung so much. And how to fish those rocks with out getting hung.

I spend a lot of time fishing there, and I always just catch my bait before I fish, so I'd be happy to show you the little that I know about the place.

13. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Never fished the dam. I all ready made plans to go with a buddy of mine and he won't want to go up to the dam. I would like to fish there sometime though. Just let me know the next time you plan on fishing there and I can head up there.