Washington County

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by rmoberly, Aug 25, 2009.

1. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Anybody here from Washington County? I am in Bartlesville. Just getting started back to fishing after 20 too long years. Looking for advice. Wife likes to catch blue gills but I like catching anything, mostly for catch and release, but looking for some good eaters.

Thanks in advance.
    Rich

2. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    used to be from that area back when i was a kid some, fished caney, hulah, copan, sand creek and those areas haven't though in years. Your name sounds familiar to me though, chris (catfisher somethign forgot) knows that area well im sure he'll shoot some advice to ya

3. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Hi Matt. I haven't posted enough to be able to send you a private message. send me an email if you care to. If your last name is Dodge I probably worked with your mom.

4. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Going to give Copan a try this evening with my daughter and her boyfriend. Fishing from the bank over a 15' hole, so will see what we can catch out of there. Water temp is reported upper 70's low 80's. Hoping for crappie, blue gill and maybe a couple cats. Will see.

Wish us luck

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Welcome Richard. You have lots of choices in all directions here in town. Little Hudson just outside of town, Copan and Hulah to the North, and the Caney and Sand Creek all here in Wash Co. Just to the East Oolagah and the Verdigris River above the lake, Birch to the SW, Bluestem just to the West. They all have fish...easier if you have a boat but all can be fished by bank.

6. bvomark

bvomark Well-Known Member

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    I live south of Bartlesville. How did you do at Copan? I was there last weekend and we caught several blues. None that were very big, just big enough to eat.

7. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Hi Mark/Chris
    Thanks for the quick response.

Chris
    Used to fish 20 years ago on all the waters around here. Just getting back to it and need some guidance as to where to fish from the bank. No boat and no prospect for one, so bank fishing for us.

(have a few friends with boats and my brother in law comes up from texas and brings his boat, so not totally a land lubber)

Mark
    Daughter's BF caught a real nice Blue gill almost big enough to fillet and a large mouth bass. Released it. Not sure we were in the right place for the culvert on the West side of the dam there at Copan, so went over to the camp ground and fished from the bank until just after dark. I caught a drum. Whoopee. I think the water temp went back up a bit from the hot day yesterday.

Bluegill and Bass on minnows and drum on a worm.

We will go again soon. Probably Hudson (city lake) and hopefully the water temp will be down and we can catch some crappie off the dam.

8. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    For Hudson (city lake) do you have any recommendations from the bank? Wife loves to catch bluegill and I have her rig setup for just that, but I have a crappie rig and a couple of catfish rigs. Going to setup a Carolina rig for next time and see what comes after it.
    NOTE: We have been fishing from the dock and tried the dam on Monday evening. Caught 1/2 lb crappie off the dam.

9. bvomark

bvomark Well-Known Member

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    It has been years since I fished at Hudson, but I used to see a lot of people fishing by the ramp and throwing in to the north side.

10. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O

Nice lake. Wife likes to fish off the dock for blue gills. Have been told there are some good Crappie, Channel, Blue and Flatheads there.

11. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hey welcome to the BOC Richard. ole catfishcentral can answer your questions on the area you fish. Glad to have you on board..

12. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Headin to Hudson Saturday morning with a buddy with a pontoon boat to see what we can entice out of the water. Will report back. Thanks for all the tips and welcomes here in the forum.

13. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    There's no blues in Hudson unless someone transplanted a few from our other local lakes. There is lots of channels and it's my favorite place to fish for trophy flatheads. The flathead in my avatar came from Hudson along with many other big ones.

14. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Hudson is not really a bank friendly lake. Most of my places I fish are North of the Ramp. I have caught thousands of bluegills in that first cove at the boat ramp. It's just not that easy to walks the banks other than right around the dock and down the bank to the dam. I'll do pretty good not too many big bluegill but plenty for flathead fishing there at Jo Allen PArk.

15. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Chris
    Thanks for the great input. I appreciate it. Work with a friend that has fished it quite a bit and he pointed me to some areas. Hope to check several places. Yes, you are right. It is not a bank fishing friendly lake for sure. Wife has a knee issue, so we fish from the dock or the dam.
    A friend and I are going to put his pontoon in and give it a go in the morning.

16. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Had a great day of fishing on Hudson off a friend's pontoon. Right off I caught a 2-3lb channel cat on a bottom no roll carolina rig with dead minnows. Hooked us for fishing the rest of the day. Over all we caught a couple of crappie keepers and 25-30 throw backs. About an even split on white crappie and black crappie. Also caught a small bass and a couple nice Blue gills.

Great day to be out on the lake fishing.