Washington County.......

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Brianh, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been focusing on the Kaskaskia lately but my partner in crime is out of town. I may swing out to Washington County this weekend alone and try for some flatheads as some of you have mentioned catching. I'm looking for a heads up on where you guys are catching these as I've never caught or seen one in this lake. Someone mentioned lilly pads on the north east portion of the lake. Anyone else care to elaborate a little? Thanks in advance....

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    If you are taking a boat then the north end part of the lake is a great spot . Stay to the left . We might be back up in there ourselves in a 14 foot semi v or a 28 foot pontoon not sure which yet but I will have on a b.o.c. shirt and hat . I would get some fresh shad if I was you for the flattys and maybe some sonnies dip or secret 7 to play with the channels . Someone told me over the weekend that there was asain carps in there jumping into the air as they motored back in there . I am for sure going to check it out sometime this weekend and see . If thats the case I will never fish there again and be very disappointed . Good luck to you though man .

3. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I would bet that the person that saw the "asians" actually ran over a big school of shad. There are a ton of them in that lake and some pretty good ones too. As far as the flathead fishing in that lake, just the same as you Brian, I've never caught or seen one caught out of that lake. I've been going there since I was 3 years old too. I don't doubt that there are flats in that lake though, the guys who say they have caught them there are definetly experienced enough to know what is on the end of their line. I think Floyd has caught a few in there along with Don Wessling to name a few. I wonder if flatheads were intentionally stocked in that lake to contro; the bullheads and the stunted bluegill population? Anyway, good luck Brian and Floyd, don't forget to let us know how you did.:wink:

4. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've never seen any evidence of Asian carp, but who knows. There's plenty of carp up in the north end, though. I'll certainly let you guys know how it goes if I make it out there.

5. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Welcome to the BOC Brian. I catch flatheads in the inlets off of the main lake. Try to find brush along the bank that has bluegill, use the bluegill for live bait starting at sundown. Hook the bluegill through the dorsal fin with a 5/0 are larger hook and a Billy Bob bobber set at about 2 ft. Keep the bait close to shore. Set your drag fairly tight and use a dog leash are some other method to keep from loosing your rod, you want to try to keep them from diving into the brush. Around 10:30 is when they come in to feed. Good Luck.

6. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm really excited to get out there and give this a try.... hopefully soon. Are you fishing north or south? Does it matter?