washing and lubing pellets???

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jan 12, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i herd on a fourm that when guys buy some pellets or they leave some pellets outside and they tarnish that they wash them and lube em

im kinda experimenting with this and i was looking on more info about it

its don soap and some 20-50 motor oil
    anyone tried this before :confused2:

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Leroy;
    I don't know why one would do this unless you get a bad batch of pellets! And that heavy of lubricant would only slow down the pellet speed in your barrel and most likely collect more "gunk" in your barrel than the lubricants that are made for Air Rifle Barrels!
    In over 40 years of shooting various kinds, brands, types, ect, of Air Rifles I've never done this nor heard of it being done.
    Now, I have heard of some Air Rifle folks experimenting with Moly Coating their pellets but given the Velocities that Air Rifles operate within along with the temperature range they operate in I think the experimenters will find not great improvement! In fact, it's not even used in most high powered Rifles either as it's use has a very narrow range of applications.
    Hope this helps you out. If I, or any other BOC Brother or Sister can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.:wink:
    By the way, WELCOME ABOARD the BOC. GLAD to have ya. :big_smile:
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    LeRoy,I have never tried ,nor heard of this myself . The washing in Dawn might be ok ,But as brother 'coyote said ,the extra lube aint helpin in a pellet rifle .

4. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    When washing pellets the main purpose is to keep the factory gunk off your finger tips and out of the barrel. If you wash them use common dish soap. Next spray them down with Slick 50 lube. In my testing accuracy seemed to improve only slightly, hardly worth the effort. I only do it before an FT match

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i tried it on 3 pellets and the only thing it did was smoke like a muzzle loader

i whiped the barell out and washed the pellets with don again(factory gunk), dried, and blew the brains out of a pigeon at 15 yards

its funny how i got a bunch of negitive comments over in the AIRGUNHUNTERS on the yahoo web about how i hunt without a sope and still down rabits,pigeons,and crows at distances up to 50 yards(you just got to know where the kill zone is )

they do look like dots but i see an outline and have a instinct about my shot placment, i can allmost master the arch my storm xt has and i use different pellets for the prey i go after

alot of people that call themself serious airgunners :tounge_out:told me that you cant go hunting without a scope but i find that very untrue :wink:

thanks for listing and the advise yall

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Have you thought to ask them what the two little Doohickeys on top of the barrel were put there for?:wink:

Don't get downhearted about the scope deal.You had to be talking to a bunch of the younger generation who were born knowing everything and that there is nothing left to learn.I bet they believe that you have to wear shoes to walk.Have they ever seen a wooden stock on a air rifle?Feel free to quote me.They may be smarter,but I bet that I have more experience with air guns.I am 62.Now they all could be old blind men.

A scope was something ship captains and astronomers in the news and the movies looked through to us.I never personally saw a scope on a rifle of any type until 1963 when I was in the navy.You might want to ask the brains what year they started grooving most 22's and air guns for scopes.Ask them how they used the guns before then?They must think all guns before scopes were used as clubs.Apparently they pay no more attention to the movies than they do to school.They even have pictures of guns without scopes in my old history books about wars.

What really scares me is the folk using scopes on shotguns when shooting shot.If that person is blind enough or even unskilled enough for the need of a scope for shot,what are they doing with a gun?I surly don't want to be around them.I know this is a bag of worms,but for any who use such and claim you don't need it,well you are showing the world your personal belief in your skill.If you have that much doubt in your skills,I surly ain't going to contradict you.If you really don't need it,then you have showed your judgment.I accept your judgment of your judgment too.Tunnel vision which comes with scopes has no place with shot in my opinion.Why are you turned loose with a gun!I feel about this as I do about those busy drive up banking machines on the drivers side in a parking lot that has the instructions in Brail.The blind have to drive or walk to use it.Some body is going to die sooner or later if either is used.Oh well,the 90 mph drivers consider the speed limit drivers the danger,not them.

I have owned,shot and hunted with air guns for 56 years and I hunted with open sights until I was 40.After cataract surgery and artificial lenses in my 50's,I took my scopes off of all my guns with sights except for my Kliengunther in 300 wby. with 3x12x56 Swavorski scope.The clarity of my right eye in sunlight was/is unbelievable.Now Diabetes and Cancer is hammering at my vision.

I killed and ate my first bird in 1951 when I was 6 years old with my Daisy Red Rider.It had no scope or scope mounts.I imagine that I would still be locked away in the funny farm had I asked for such.I just found my 10th air gun that I own and had forgotten about in a closet.

I never wood shoot at 50 yards because of the pellet energy,even in my .22 pellets.I feel that is pushing it and animals deserve better.I call it my sense of honor,respect and obligation to my game.There is plenty of target junk out there for the long shooting.Besides,stalking or waiting patiently are really more important than accuracy in my opinion.Knowing and excepting our limitations are the most important of all.Any moron can pull a trigger.I am old,sick and limited in my skills now.I have to accept and consider that in my shooting.

I just keep remembering that I have found far more snipers on line since the year 2000 than there has ever been in mans recorded military history.That is including William Tell and Robin Hood.Also that measured yards are always closer than guessed or stepped off.The stride and counting skills or lack of with shooters and hunters have always amazed me.

I have many old and oxidized lead pellets and .22 rifle bullets.I would think that they and my guns would benefit with them being lubed just as lead bullets in rifles are.I have some Beef Tallow that I want to try.It worked for the military along with other things for many years.Lee liquid Alox should work well for pellets and it only takes a little to do a lot.

I am interested in some way to resize or straighten out the many deformed pellets that I have accumulated over the years.I heard there was a device,but that it was expensive.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    good post brother peewee.

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The answer your first Question is YES.Folks have been doing it for over 130 years.In 1874 Billy Dixon shot a Comanche off of a horse that a Army survey team later measured at at 1874 yards.As far as I know they are still holding 1000 yard matches with open sights with some shooters out shooting quite a few folks who kill game at a thousand yards with a scope.

The answer to your last paragraph is that I disagree.The reason they quit putting those things on the barrel was that you young whippersnappers did not know what they were there for and if some old man told you,you did not want to learn the skill of lining up 3 things with two already lined up for you.You would rather look down a pipe and shoot at what you see down it.:wink:

Every time that I see a scope I think of the Monkey that I once had.I had cut up some Bamboo to make things for the kids.That Monkey picked up about a 8 inch piece that he could see through.To the day he died,that Monkey treasured that piece of Bamboo and would spend hours at times looking through it.Don't take my word for it.Give a teenager a scope and a monkey apiece of Bamboo and watch both.Hey,I have been through teenagers 3 times now at my age.Me,my children and now grandchildren.The Monkey was the easiest to train and seemed to be smarter than us all!:wink:

I went to scopes when my eyes failed and removed them when Cataract surgery and artificial lenses corrected it.

My opinion on scopes in BB & pellet rifles is.If you have good vision and need a scope to hit your "game",your outfit was not designed to make clean kills at that distance.Game and clean kills is the key words.target or plinking you could use my 3x12x56 scope and shoot for 2000 yards if you wish.No animal will suffer because of it.Scopes let folks with impaired vision shoot safely if it is done right.

Safety or the lack of with scopes,shotguns and shot.People have and are going to swing on moving game with a scoped shotgun.You can't follow game through a scope and watch where you are swinging to.It is too close to have the necessary field of view at shotgun ranges.Try it sometime and you will see what you mean.

A good size pond with a bullet stopping far bank is the best target area that I know of for BB,Pellet or .22 rifle as you can see your impact as you shoot at leaves or twigs in the pond.With a gentle breeze at your back,you can let leaves blow in for targets.I shot deep water so that the pellets would sink in the deep instead of shallow.

Any of you ever shoot the .177 & .22 lead balls?If so,what did you shoot them with,at and how did they perform.In my pump up Crosmans that would shoot pellets and BB's I found the BB's to be better Squirrel and Feral Cat killers due to the better penetration.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I shore hope you are not drinking that beer while shooting and you are picking up "all" of that glass like a responsible shooter will.I don't shoot bottles and I have no way of posting up a clip.I am 62.I know what I can no longer do when it comes to shooting.Birds will often pick up glass like sand for their craw and the sharp edges will kill them.I never thought about that until some of my Bantams and White King Pigeons I raised to eat died of that as the pen was on a old dump behind where a bar used to be.I had to move them after all of the work I put in the pens.The scratching of the chickens were always bringing up more glass.

I still use the old time & trial method for any small game rifle,pistol or small lead shot in a shotgun of any kind.If it will penetrate a Campbell soup can at the range you are shooting,it is good enough to hunt at that range.If it won't,it shouldn't be shot at a living animal at that range.Really a very old method of telling you the limits of penetration and energy for your gun.Simple,anyone can do it and it works!

There are folk who have augured about how good a shotgun and buckshot would be for hunting Cape Buffalo.I do believe that I could kill a Elephant with a contaminated .177 cal.BB or pellet rifle if I shot it in the eye.It might take two weeks for the animal to die of infection,but I can do it.That ain't saying much for me though.There was a Ivory trade way before firearms.Gut shots and watch for the Buzzards was the early firearm way of obtaining ivory.Pigmy's with Little arrows regularly killed them too.Responsibility and setting a example is the name of the game in shooting.This is all that I have been trying to say.

I had had the opportunity in the past to watch and even got to shoot a little bit with some of the worlds competitors of the early 60's.Some of them told me that I was "good for someone with no training".I can tell you that I was nowhere near their league!The one thing noticeable about the really good ones.They never bragged.I didn't get laced up and body bound to shoot in a horse hide either as they did.

They did not have to try and convince themselves and others how good they were.The good at anything never have to,nor do they need the praise of others.I see where you do really have a visual problem if you cannot see a beer bottle at 50 yards.I know some just about blind old drunks that can smell a unopened bottle of beer farther than that!I well understand how hard it is when you are handicapped or crippled as I also am.What used to take me three minutes to 20 minutes now often takes me,3 hours,3 days or at times 3 weeks at bad times.I just try,and try and try.What you and I are accomplishing is far,far more difficult and a far greater accomplishment than it would be if we were not handicapped.

I still do believe that it takes far more effort,learning and skill to shoot with iron sights than it does a scope.There is not even a cross hair to compare with the target size to help you estimate the distance.There certainly is no computer and range finding optical help to figure everything for you and tell you where to shoot as was done with the last distance record in the Gulf war sniping.

Practice,practice,practice is the way to success.The recoil from spring piston guns are now very painful to me.There is always something ain't there?

Keep us in the know fellows.

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have never heard of such a thing and i cant imagine it would help the accuracy or velocity.If you find out why they do it i would like to know thanks for posting.

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Look up "Napier Power Pellet lube" on line.It has been out for a while and some competition shooters have been using it in the U.K..Now their air guns are the low powered,low velocity as required by their law.Some say that some pellets come prelubed now.I have a lot of the cheap chinese pellets for plinking in the yard.They don't even look consistent in the tin,but they are fun to shoot and cheap!I have days that I have to shoot the low power or the BB guns as I can not cock the more powerful guns on my bad days and the recoil is very painful.This crap that I have does not care if I shoot or not.A .22 rim fire recoil does not hurt me like the air rife,shotguns and center fire rifles.I never had a problem with any before I got sick.

I know that lubed soft lead bullets fouled less in my Ruger 44 Blackhawk at air rifle pellet speeds.Now lead bullets for center and rim fire are often harder due to alloys than the pellets.The pellets have to be softer due to the rear or skirt of the pellet having to expand to engage the barrel with air pressure.

I have powdered graphite and molly that I have always wanted to try,but they are messy.I have beef tallow and various patch lubes for my old Thompson .45 cal.round ball.I wonder if these would diesel in a air gun?

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Well if you do the first two,the last ain't surprising.If you are old enough to have a 10 year old son,it must be one of the following things.1::You obtained puberty at a extremely early age.2::At 62 I am getting so old that anyone under 40 looks and sounds to be in grammar school.It is probably the latter as I thought you were not much older than you say your driver is.My mentality never has been much and the drugs ain't helping.:big_smile:

I am now wondering if I built my chicken yard on one of your old pellet gun ranges.:wink:

Was it the Shotgun & Cape Buffalo?:confused2:

I love you Brother.

13. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My regular maintenance medicine is 12-18 pills a day.It retards and meses up my thinking along with my control of my body.I said that I could "see them".I said nothing about hitting them!:wink:

I never had the commitment,dedication,time,range or money to be a really good competitive shooter.Most of the good ones trained with instructors for many years like a olympic athlete.I started shooting early just like your son.My family & community was and I was raised with WW1 vets,WW2 vets,Koren vets,hunters and law enforcement.I do not remember anyone or any family in my childhood who did not have guns.Women hunted regularly all of their life in the 3 Deer hunting clubs that I belonged and belong to along with the kids.Besides,if you really want to learn to shoot,there are far more experts and knowledgeable shooters on line than there ever has been in competition.You can find 15-65 year old experts with hundreds of years of experience.:wink:

I got prescriptions for all of the Morphine they think I need for pain,but I stay away from it until things get real bad.It zonks me out.They don't worry about addiction when you are terminal.I do.I stay off of all medicine for 24 hours before driving,shooting or even going out.I stay off of morphine for at least 48,and normally do it with all of my medicine.This and direct sunlight breaking my skin out with these cancer spots in less than a hour does limit my outdoors when I do good and can get around.I look like a fat Mikel Jackson in the sun when all covered up like I have to be.Bummer!

On most bright clear days,I can see the individual needles in a pine against a clear sky up to 50 yards or read print with this new type artificial lens in my right eye.Dim light and night driving,my left eye and the old type lens lets me read & see better.Normal lighting.I have to wear reading glasses.Diabetes and this crazy kind of cancer keeps the vision in my right eye coming and going at times as the shape of my eyeball changes at times and they don't know why.I also got some damage inside they say.

I have never said that you could not shoot better with a scope.I still say that there are some who are good shots with open sights at all ranges.I like open sights for Squirrel hunting,as you can keep up with a running Squirrel or rabbit and never lose sight of it like you do when you put a scope up to your eye.Also,before I got cataracts,I did not have a dominate eye and shot open sights and a scope with both eyes open.Now that my right eye is dominate in daylight,the left in dim light,it is a whole new ball game for me.I really had no idea why people shut one eye to shoot until then.I was a freak,but it sure worked out good and was a blessing!I could work them together to judge distance and did it without thinking.It was much better than this dominate eye stuff I got now.Now it did cause me eye strain when welding and watching that puddle up close.

We went barefoot.Country boys in my time didn't shoot bottles.You picked up broken glass where ever you found it.Breaking glass of any kind was not socially acceptable and anyone caught doing it was punished.I think people learned to do it watching the movies where city bred non shooters are the screen writers and directors.In my day beer bottles and most drink bottles had a deposit paid on them.You could buy shells with those bottles.3 $00.02 cent bottles would buy you a Coke.4 would by you a Coke and a big saucer size oatmeal cookie.Go to 5 and you got a Coke and a Moon Pie!Big time for a kid in my day.Your buddies and best friend would fight you over breaking a good bottle or even breaking and leaving a cracked one.I have many scars and had many stitches from broke glass.

Kids can learn how to do a lot of things by watching the movies and TV.I see now that the "Expert" way to shoot pistols is sideways and even upside down.Most don't know what a pistol is.City screen writers and directors thought cowboys target practiced with bottles.You saved that bottle and took it with you to get it refilled out of the barrel for beer and liqueur.Really watch the screen heroes shoot.Notice how slow John Wayne is on the draw and watch his eyes close when he fires those blanks in the few shots that you can tell .He did get a little better with time and he wasn't the worst chopper around.

I always loved to hunt and hit what I shot at more than I did shooting.Don't get me wrong.I do like to shoot,but I enjoyed reloading and working my individual pieces up to the best loads for accuracy.