Washed the skunk off

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Sep 20, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Kutter inspired me yesterday with his "never been to Alton and not caught fish" talk. I likened it to Bobby Knight giving me a motivational butt chewing at the boat ramp prior to launching. Anyway, I managed to catch 2 last night in about 3 hours -- a 17lb and 15lb......nothing huge, but it will suffice. I think the trick was the goldeyes (thanks rat). I managed to catch four or five and caught both fish on them. One was chunked, one was alive. I had my carp fillets out there as well (with stingers). We had one nice big slow pull but the stinkin' thing didn't hook. I have no idea as to how as he obviously had the whole thing in his mouth by the looks of the bait --he just managed to miss the circle in the front and back. Go figure. There were no slams tonight as all four hits were just nice big pulls...

For the life of me I can't figure out how the kitty's can tell the difference between a shad, carp, or goldeye when they are cut up sitting in 40 feet of water in the muddy mississippi at night. It all looks like stinkin' meat to me and can't imagine a hog coming by and looking at a carp fillet and saying "not to tonight, I want goldeye." I guess it doesn't matter what I think, I'll use it all to be on the safe side.

The fish were were between 37-40 feet of water, give or take 10 feet.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Greg, you and Dan have inspired me!:eek:oooh:

As I mostly fall into this skunky category too (except for an occassional good day) I will join the fun.

I say we all get together and fish a NO-FISH tourney. You have to keep your hook baited all day, no cheating. And we'll see who catches the least.

Tiebreakers (there will be many) will be settled with extra points being awarded for lost anchors, overboard cell phones and other water-related mishaps.

Double bonus points awarded for prop damage etc.:wink:

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I like this idea. I'm gonna go off the record here and say folks would catch MORE fish. If it was a tourney for the LEAST amount of fish, everyone would fish areas they would NEVER consider fishing, and I'm betting they would find fish in those OFF THE WALL spots. :wink:

4. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    You underestimate us. I've got some pretty sweet spots (or so I think) that I've consistently never caught fish. I would continue to fish those with, let's say, gizzard shad. That would be basically what I did all last summer and caught a total of four and what was like 10-15 trips. I like my odds........especially if it's during the day. Let the games begin...... as River Rat is to pole dancing, I am to fishing "Least amount of fish" tourneys.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yes, but can you get skunked in the rain?

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Man, cracking me up here. :smile2::smile2::smile2:ROTFLMAO

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have a secret weapon that can guarantee that I would catch less fish than anyone in this contest.

I have secretly been keeping track of all the honey holes Vince has told me about. I'll fish them all. I'll not only not catch any fish, I'll throw bare hooks out and when I reel them in, they'll have been baited up by the catfish.

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    BOOM! and Vince takes a vicious left hook!:crazy:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good job finding some fish Greg. Sounds like everyone would do well in a least amount of fish tourney this week. I picked a good week to work. :smile2:

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Considering the luck I have when I take the girlfriend fishing....I'm pretty sure I could rap up this no fish tournament hands down cause I've got the perfect no fish catching partner.:roll_eyes:

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Kutter, if I read it correctly, it was worded as I have corrected!

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Oh, now I would never have said that!
    Cause I didn't think about it, is why.

13. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri

Rough Crowd..:big_smile::big_smile: Those were the ones that Cuz likes to fish! :wink:
    Let the Skunk Fest begin... Golfing this past week did wonders to my overall outlook on life!! Amazing how far you can smack one with Kutters name on the ball! :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

14. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri

Ouch! Dude.. :waaaht:

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Kutter said it, not me. :crazy:I was aghast that he would be so cold hearted and viscious. He was joking anyway, right Kutter. There seems to be a LOT of that around here.:eek:oooh:

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    well i guess i can join the rest of you, I got mine last night:sad2:

Attached Files:

17. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Better week to play Golf! "Least amount of fish" tourneys sounds like the Cuz October Fest then. Contact Cuz for the time and date...

Golfing this morning was interesting.. I just cant explain this.. The Kutter golf ball flew straight for awhile, then took a terrible left hook heading towards the water like it had a mind of its own. Went splat right next to a fountain that was raining over half the pond. So I thought to myself.. Well that figures! I think I can do this. Pulled out another golf ball and wrote CUZ across it. It took off like a soaring jet at a worm burner low level. Skipped across the water twice and ran out of GAS about 25 feet from the green!

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Do you have to be from Missouri to get in this tournament? If not me and Big Sam will shoot up north of the border and show you boys how it's done :wink:,or not done as seems to be the case:eek:oooh::smile2:. We can not catch fish with the best of em:smile2:. And if you get door prizes for extras we should come out O.K. in this one, might even win enough to pay for gas:smile2:. We've done the prop thing this year in Sam's boat he almost sunk the boat not once but twice:eek:oooh: while it was sleeting and snowing:eek:oooh:, no fish just seems to be the norm and when we do get a bite are poles just get jerked in the water anyway:smile2:. But were still alive and ready fish if allowed to do so:big_smile:. Just give us directions to the ramp and were there:smile2:. Vince if the tournament gets cancelled we'll just go play golf.

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't know Johnny. Believe it or not you and Big Sams fame is in fact known in these parts. Your exploits are legendary. But alas, evn though I feel you would be serious contenders, We have some very tough teams in these parts.

Myself: two anchors, two props, dented boat, the skipeye disaster, lost drift bucket, broken driftmaster, boat cushion gone????, dip net gone????, hopelessly knotted lines joining up to four poles together at once etc.......

And there are guys here that have me beat. LOL

Bring it on up Arkansas, we'll murder you guys!:big_smile:

20. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is more of a get together like the last one. Cuz talked about having another one sometime soon. We dont cancel due to rain or hurricanes as normally the Kutter-Cane makes it out of his cave..
    Guess Ill throw in a dozen golf balls for a door prize. Always thought about getting two dozen that says catfish1.com and spreading them all over a few cources anyhow just to see what would happen!