Washdown pump/livewell pump

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by bigblaze, Nov 1, 2006.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Ok here is the situation:

I have a 19" center console bay boat..and after a hard days worth of catfishing..the boat is trashed with blood and pieces and parts of fish.

I don't have a raw water wash down pump. I want to install one. I do have a live well pump that someone suggested splitting off of. Several other people I talked to said that might not be a good idea because using the pump that much will shorten the life of the pump.

I should also mention that I have had allot of problems with the live well pump on the boat now. the pump head (motor) has been replaced four times. Finally the dealer I bought the boat from has agreed to replace the entire pump with a new one.

My questions are:

Are they hard to install????

Is using one pump for the live well and wash down pump a bad idea???

What size (GPM) (gallons per minute) or (psi..)should I use

Thanks in advance....

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Metal marine are is it marine metal anyway who ever makes "Fishsaver" products has a dual purpose pump I was looking at for my homemade bait tank. It may be what you are looking for are just give you a better idea anyhow. Good luck

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
  4. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bigblaze.......cabelas has everything u need.U could purchase a seperate pump and piece together your own for less money. I think the kit is the way to go. Get a high pressure pump,60+PSI,The pump has an internal switch. This can be adjusted, wire it up from your 12V battery with a 10amp fuze and a separate switch,use a larger fuze if pump requires it.The pump can be mounted anywhere u need in the boat, but keep it above the intake hole in the transom.This permits the pump to free drain when off. A must for winterization.Just remember to seal the through hull(get a below the water through hull)I like shoe goo marine.Remember,high PSI is great to have and don't forget the water filter before the pump..:cool2: Hope this helps........Ur humble servant Beartrap .......keep ur nose to the wind ur powder dry and ur hull wet

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    SHURFLo makes the washdown and baitwell pumps aboard my 21 ft center console.The Baitwell is the 1100 gph model and it has a connection on the bottom for the Washdown pump.Simply run a hose to the WD pump and you are inbusiness.No need to run the livewell pump.The 1100 GPH has been on the boat for 5 years and hasn't failed yet although I carry a spare ready to go.I also carry a spare bilge pump which is probably why mine hasn't failed yet.:lol: :smile2: You can get everything from Cabelas.:smile2:

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I am trying same thing. I bought a washdown pump. it's auto pressure switch turns on when you turn water on. I paid $99 for kit from bass pro shop. has pump,fittings,spray nozzle, strainer. all I am going to do is fill and refresh livewell, I will have a cheap spearate areator. I should mention my tank is 100 gal feed trough, pump is 4.5 GPM @40psi. Havnt got it together yet, trying to gather rest of stuff. This is picture of what I want to build, This picture from KatKaller (Thanks KatKaller). hope to put it together soon.

7. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Picture didnt work right, heres another try. pump you use should have psi and gpm on it.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I just wait till I get home and use the garden hose. The river I fish in is so muddy it wouldn't do any good to use that water for washing the boat...

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks to all for the useful information...

I don't want to wait because by the time I get home all the shad or bait pieces are all stuck to the boat and takes twice as long to clean it....plus the wife says I spend too much of my time now messing with the boat. The last thing she wants me doing is spending 6 hours on sunday cleaning the boat...

YOU ALL KNOW THE SAYING......If momma aint happy nobody's happy:tounge_out:

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I just throw water over the boat with a bucket at the ramp . Then stop at the car wash here for 2.00 and does a great job.

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    After much research I have decided to go with this pump. Mark I liked the one you suggested but I don't have enough room in my bilge area.

The pump is from west marine and boasts a 70 psi pressure rating with 3.4 gallons per minute. The pump is about a $100.00 and i figure i will have another $100.00 in fittings and misc. parts and pieces. The pump also has a three year warranty which most other pumps only have a one year warranty. The warranty covers everything as long as I don't catch it on fire it's covered.

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/0415z.asp (model #7865678)

12. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Hey BigBlaze,
    Have you hooked your pump up? Hows it work? I put a 4.5-40psi on my toon but maybe should have opted for one like yours. I have water pressure, but nothing like at home. I can spray off stuff with a stong jet but it is very little water. I was thinking about changing to bigger pump but not sure if it's volume or pressure that I want to increase.