Was Wondering????

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Johnboy1975, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Went fishing last night until about 2:00 on the Delaware River close to the house. Got there about dusk and I have fished this spot before, nice rocks, some log jams, but there isnt much current there. I have bluegill for bait so Im really going after flatheads. I had to change my setup around on my three poles so I get the first one done and throw it in...As Im working on the next one I can see that the gill is doing some dancing on the pole end and usually in the past something is getting it worked up so all of the sudden there is a little stronger pull and then my line goes slack. Now I have circle hooks on so I start to reel in trying to catch up thinking that this is awesome going to catch my first flat of the year.... I catch up to the fish and it feels like a nice one...I hear him surface but its to dark to see it then. After a short fight I get him to the bank and then I realize that its a 6lb channel cat. Dont get me wrong Im I love channels to but that is the first time I have ever caught a channel on live bait (besides worms) I was just wondering if anyone else catches channels on live bait often. All told I had a good nite four channels ranging from the 6lber to 2lbs all on bluegill. I didnt have the camera with me or I would post pictures...

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i've caught channels on live bait often. in my home lake when i used to trotline for flattys i'd catch alot more channels than flats.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As channels get bigger they will eat more live fish..

4. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    I guess I just usually catch the flats with them.... Kinda suprised me when them channels started coming in like I said I didnt mind but sure was wanting to catch them flatheads...

5. nobullheads

nobullheads New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    I just caught my very first fish on my penn reel and was surprised like you were when I pulled up a channel using a nice size live bluegill as bait. My pole was dancing a little with the bait fish and then my clicker started going.

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    All the time. I probably catch more channels then flatheads on gills. I've even caught some really small ones on medium, hand sized baits. Now that always surprises me. Most of the time though they are bigger channels, 7 pounds or bigger. Someone already said this, but I think as they get more mature they become more predators than scavengers... but they won't give up an easy meal if it presents itself. I only seem to catch them on live bait on the river though. A really good bait for channels is to take and fillet one side off starting at about half way down the gut pocket so some of it is exposed. I call it the "Kevin special" because my buddy Kevin (Tmramrod or something) likes to do it if we have some die on us (he probably just got the idea from this site, but if you ask him he'll take all the credit for the idea:smile2:). I've seen him catch lots of channels on that though.

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep. I've caught channels on gills, chubs, and bighead carp. I guess if they're on the bite it's all fair game.:wink: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use live bait for channels alot. I know alot of others here do very well with live bait for bigger ones.:wink:

9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like to give the dead ones a good stomp and squish their innerts out too!:eek:oooh:

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I started useing live green sunfish this year for channels and havent been disapointed yet. I hang em under a Kat bobber about 3' deep and have had nothing less than 10#s so far this year. So far the flats,channels and blues have hit em.

11. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Once a channel hits about 7lbs you would be surprised how big of bait he will take. I have caught lots of big channel on live perch or chubs. I've never caught a channel on bullhead myself, but I am sure the bigger ones would eat them too.