Was what I saw shad?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Rodfather23, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Rodfather23

Rodfather23 New Member

State:
    Ark
    Tonight when I was out fishing on a small (8 acre) local lake....I saw about a 4 foot area of water rippling and moving around. It was about 50 or so bait fish schooling around. Was this shad? or something else?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is possible that it was shad. Was there any size to them or were they just small, like around two inches or so?

3. fishsticks

fishsticks New Member

State:
    Oxford,Ohio
    they were proboly shad or fathead minnows...

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    They could have been shad. Shad around here usually have a tendency to splash out of the water when cruising around.

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i saw the same thing the other day when me and a buddy were fishing a strip pit. i tried using a size 20 hook with a little peice of bread to catch one, but it didnt work. im gunna take my cast net next time and catch them. but while this thread is here, i saw a bunch of little fish (about 3-5'') jumping about a foot out of the water around 10-15 feet offshore the other day when i was fishing the wabash. they kept doing this the whole time i was there. was this shad or skipjack or what? i think skipjack do that sometimes from what ive herd. anyone have any ideas?

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    sounds like a school of baby shad to me

7. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    The one thing that makes fish jump like that.... bigger fish trying to eat them.