Was my self-defense justified?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I was playing basketball up at my local gym, and this guy asks if he can play with me and some friends, and I quickly got him into the game. He was defending me, and after I had blocked a few of his shots(not trying to brag) as I drove in for a bucket he elbowed me in the face. I told him I knew it was intentional but I was gonna let it slide. After the next shot of his that I blocked, he shoved me against the wall, so I popped him in the mouth. He was dazed for a little while and then said, "Take it easy white boy," and left the gym. After thinking about this for a while, I've began feeling bad about what I did, since I'm in no means a violent person. I've been trying to find him so I could apologize, but haven't seen him since the incident. So, should I feel bad for what I did, or was my self-defense justified?

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i wouldnt feel bad at all.....i prolly would've lost it after an intentional elbow to the face.......personally i would've kept swingin till he said he had enough or somebody stopped me.......maybe im just too aggressive

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ive had the exact same thing happen to me accept the guy over hand threw the ball at my face from about 2 foot away and bloodied my nose but i didnt smack him in his face once i whipped his a$$ good and then i left the gym

4. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    brother if somebody's pushin on you or somethin..........he needs to be popped.....

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think you were justified. I think I would have broke some of his favorite bones!

6. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I think I would have done alot more that just a pop in the mouth

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Openin' up a can of WHOOP ASS, you were justified, I have seen worse for less.

Aaron

TA2D

8. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    u were justified but i would have done a lot more i would have messed him up for doing that man but thats just me. I actually did to a guy a school one time cuz we were playing basketball and i drove in and he tackled me like we were playing football. so i got up and popped him in the face hit him in the stomach about 4 or 5 times the gave him a right hook and kinda knocked him out.:roll_eyes: Too bad I still got 1 week of in school suspension (ISS) and 3 days of detention. too much homework right there lol.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    true self defence is always justified, you owe him nothing except maybe another smack for name he called you.

10. suddawg

suddawg New Member

He had it coming. He was playing that kind of street ball, and got the business.

You probably feel bad because it's not in your nature to do that, but be proud that you had no problems defending yourself. Like I said he had it coming.

SudDawg

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think you did it perfect. you took control of the situation. some people just push as far as they can, He will think twice next time.

12. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Instinct took over. You were defending your self.
    nuf said.

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yup, I would of definatly not shaken his hand after that. LMAO

The first elbow would of probably been enough to set me off though, you are a good man for letting that slide.

14. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Sounds like you handled it rather well and without racial slurs.

15. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    It is never easy to say when violence against another is justified or whether it ever is. There could have been other means of correcting this situation without punching him in the face. The fact that you are concerned and want to apologies to him shows good on your character and am proud of you for that. The next time try and find a different way to settle a situation, none likes to have to apologies for something they have done

16. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I would have popped him aswell... Im the big 250lbs and tall 6"1 for an 8th grader so not to many people mess with me:eek:oooh:

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Sounds like self-defense to me, and I use to play ball alot (but that was back in the day - Many, Many, Many Moons Ago - lol:embarassed: ) and that sounds like your game was just better that his & he couldn't take that & he was just a spoiled sport.:roll_eyes:

Out here we go by two rules - "Game Recognize Game" and to "Just Walk Away".:surrender:

So I wouldn't fill bad at all.
    :0a26:

You take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ive never played basketball but i can imagine with all the jumping around and arms swinging up and down that accidents do happen
    but if there was no mistakeing his intensions then i think he had it comeing.
    sounds like he wasnt as good as he would like to be and used dirty tactics to try and make up for it.
    i think you did the right thing as long as thats what you felt.
    maybe he regrets it too?:lol:

19. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    ehh.... did i say 6"11.... i meant 5"11 1/2 :lol:

20. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I think you were totally justified and you could'nt have handled the situation any better.