Was my ford or chevy made in america?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by ultima_cat_man, Apr 4, 2006.

1. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    this is for all you ford and chevy guys who are always saying buy american buy american, did you know the vehicle made most in america is a toyota, lol i know half of you just said yea right, but its true,

everyone who owns a chevy or a ford should go out and check your vin on your cars if the first number on your vin is anything other than a 1 or a 4 your car was not made is the usa, i have posted as follows a rundown of what a vin number means.

Tips to understanding your vehicles serial (VIN) number

They are as follows:

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
    For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
    BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
    Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
    1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
    as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.

hope this helps anyone who wanted to know ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, tim

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol, how true! (and pretty sad!)

3. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Actally more Toyotas come from Japan. Because a Japan man from Japan invented them, and they are mass produced there and shipped over here. Even though Fords and Chevys are invented by American men don't mean they are made here. But i have to admit that vechicals mad in Japan last for ever, they just now how to produce quality vechicals. But i like my fords more though.

4. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    yeehaw, 63% of toyotas were built in north america, not japan. i know of toyota plants in califorina, texas, and kentucky, last year gm had 4.6 million cars made in north america and toyota had 4.8 million.

this wasnt a slam on ford or chevy just a wake up call on whos starting to take over,,, i drive a chevy and probably always will things like this are why cars keep improving, competion, hopefully im around to see the suv that gets 100 miles to the gallon,,,,,, lol tim

5. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know where mine all came from,made in USA.#1 Explorer,made in Louisville,KY. #2 Lincoln Town Car made in Wixom,MI. #3 Harley Davidson made in York,PA.

I've always paid attention to that first # on the Vin. when I was shopping.