Was given my Great Grandfathers reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by DM1975, Apr 16, 2007.

1. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I went to visit my Parents and one remaining Grandparent last week. Took my rods with me to fish as well. While I was down I was given my Great Grandads reels. Thought they would be a bunch of junk bot it was an old Penn 109 and an Ocean City 112 on a small metal fishing rod and an old Shakspear Wonder Cast. I cleaned up and worked on both the Penn and the Ocean City and have them working well. My big question is how do you fanagle the Ocean City when you reel it in as it is not a level wind. I know you have to use your fingers but is there a certain way to do it? And any info on Ocean City reels would be appreciated. Thanks

Will get some pictures of them up when I can as well. Thanks again in advance for any info.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is definatly something you can cherrish, thanks for sharing.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve you have some keep sake equipment there. I would put it up and pass it on to my children and then grandchildren. But to answer your question about the non level wind reel. You place your hand just above the reel on the rod and direct the line, with your finger, back and forth to fill the reel level.:lol: :smile2:

4. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks. I took the ocean city and mounted it on a rod yesterday and with only a few casts I got it working well with useing my finger to guide it. Took me more time to learn to actually cast it. The 109 worked like a dream. I got it up and going and have nothing but high hopes for it.