Warsaw white bass/crappie report and a surprise!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, May 2, 2009.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished with a friend last night in the old channel below the dam for crappie and white bass, fishing under floating lights. Had a pretty good night with several nice whites and a few crappie. Well, about an hour into fishing my line took off and I was getting spooled bigtime. Had my friend pull anchor and we chased and let the fish pull the boat until we finally got a look at what it was. Spoonbill, big spoonbill, well we kept up with trying to wear it out and eventually it came up next to the boat. My friend grabbed a gill and yelled for me to grab the bill, seemed like a ton of weight but it ended up in the boat. We were both laughing so hard and out of breath, absolutely hilarious. We weighed it twice and it went 85 pounds. Well, here's the funny part, I was using a 4 foot 6 inch ultra light rod and a spinning reel spooled with 4 pound mono. To prove my point to my friend, after we got the hook out I grabbed the line with my hands and broke it. Fish was hooked in the bottom fin just below its tail. Here's the pictures. Fish swam off fine after be put her back. Chris

Attached Files:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Holy smokes Chris:eek:oooh: That has to be some sort of record on that light of tackle. At least a personal record.:smile2: It's huge, thanks for the story and pics. I can't wait to get up there during the gathering and hope they run water.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    hell yes buddy 85 lbs of fish on 4 lb test mono im sure thats a record !!!!!!! way to go buddy :wink::wink::wink:

people pay 300 bucks and yank on stiff broom stick rods dragging 8 to 16 ounce sinkers with 80 to 100 lb test line to catch those spoonies and you did it with a ultra light and 4 lb test mono lmao priceless truely priceless :smile2::smile2::smile2:

again way to go on landing that huge spoonbill and great picture !!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    back to back years with catching a 80 lb plus fish 1 was a cat and now a spoonie .. WAY TO CHRIS !!!!!!

YOU ARE THE MAN :wink::wink:

reps to ya for sure !!!!

5. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Must have been some fight. Way to go. I'd almost have to retire that rod and reel after that.

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way to go Chris. That one will be hard to top on 4 pound test. LOL

7. mobigcat

mobigcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Once in a lifetimme there! Way to go.

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Congrats buddy. What did Angle do? I bet she freaked on that on. Did she tell ya it was a keeper?

Tom

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    :cool2::cool2::cool2: way to go congrats

10. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    Way to Chris I bet it was fun. I am ready to yank and crank em.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good point Tom, have to wonder what the lil'''' dawgs take was on on it, Prollly fidured it was a cull.:confused2:

12. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    UNBELIVABLE!!! We snagged several times this year and got whipped! Only got two. But that is an awesome fish bro! Thats got to be a record