Warsaw report 6-2-08

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone! Went fishing below the dam but stayed above the 65 Highway bridge this time to see what was happening. Shad were easy to find in Drake Harbor but only after dark, big ones. Fished alot of different places and had the same results, no big fish, biggest about 8 pounds or so. No good pulldowns either. Went Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, mostly fished in the evening and after dark. Storms sucked and Mr. T has alot of guts staying out in the storm that hit on Saturday! Most of the bites I had were just little pulls with a decent hit once in a while. I kept 3 fish in the 3-5 pound range last night, none had eggs but were full of shad. Good luck out there everyone! Chris

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thanks for the report Chris. Man are you sure it was guts that kept Marty out there, or was it a lack of a different part of his anatomy?:smile2: J/K Marty I hear lightning won't hit red paint.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Truth be told, we got off the water about 20 minutes after Chris stopped by to ask if we were really going to stay out in that mess... :wink:

4. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    I'm new to this site, but it sounds like there are some of you that fish below Truman dam quite a bit. I've visited that section of the lake lots of times for spoonbill snagging, but I've never wet a line there for catfish. I usually fish down around the 61 mile marker for cats. After seeing all of your reports, I'm getting the bug to fish closer to Warsaw. I have a 16 ft jon that will handle to water up there okay (spoonbill tested), and I have a few 7 ft heavy action setups with 20 lb line. I usually catch shad when I fish, and it sounds like that's the bait of choice there.

Would anyone be willing to give me pointers about the area? I'll find my spots to fish, but any help about fishing in that water would be great. I'm thinking about starting between the public area and the 65 HW bridge and working my way up. Is this area "fishable" during the weekend with the extra traffic? Are my line weights heavy enough? Do you need to be missing a few nuts in your head to fish right below the bouys?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, good or bad. I'll keep in mind that lightning doesn't strike boats with red paint. My blue boat may need to change colors before I launch!

5. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Your boat will be fine, mine is just a 14 foot Lowe Jon with a 25hp Johnson, never had any problems even when they have the water cranked way up. It is hard to anchor up there at the bouys when they have the gates open, takes a long anchor line and alot of weight. Weekend traffiic is hit and miss, I avoid on holiday weekends but there is good entertainment at the boat ramp watching all the idiots that have alot of money tied up in their boats but don't know how to back a trailer! I use 7 foot medium heavy rods with 30 pound test. Have a friend that only uses 20 and has lost a few good fish. When they get in the current they have alot more horsepower so its nice to have heavier line. Chris

6. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Thanks a bunch. I may look into respooling with heavier line. I have a rig with 20lb braided line, but after using it I decided against spooling up any more. Thanks again for your helpful tips. I'll also schedule a late morning trip back to the boat ramp to watch the interesting goings on down there. That may be more exciting than the fishing from the reports everyone is giving.

7. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chris, thanks for the info. I haven't been fishing for cats in over a week and I was just about to make a post asking what the fish are doing. I'm thinking about trying this Friday night. :big_smile: