Warsaw Bait??

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by kat in the hat, Jul 1, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ha, ha, Warsaw needs a forum all unto them self lmao.

So, I'm headed to Warsaw first thing in the morning. It would be a catastrophe to get there, and not find any bait. Can anybody help me out? I read opossum's thread, and he said he caught shad around the "pipes" (?) at 6:30 pm. Well, I'm gonna be arriving at around 6 am. Any help would be super-duper appreciated.

Also, we'll be in a 16' Lowe Roughneck with a 4 stroke Merc. on it. I'll be wearing my BOC hat. If anybody is out and about during the day, feel free to look us up. Would be cool to meet some of ya. I have yet to meet any BOC members in person.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    cant help you but good luck and post some pictures

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Keep us posted on the results?

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    when we were down there saturday they were flipping alot close to the bank towards the dam and also in drake harbor in the evenings, im sure it might be the same in the morning. we tried finding some around 3 saturday afternoon and all we could find were around 3 inches long and stacked in the back of coves.hope this helps and good luck

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good luck out there Matt.
    Bait can be kind of scattered in the day time. If you get there early check in Drake Harbor. Use your electronics to locate them, above the Hwy. 7 bridge up to the dam on the left side as you go up river. Might also look in the old river channel below the dam also and down river at the blue branch cove.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I might add the day time bite has been slow Matt but they havent been running much water. Looking at the forecast they may start cranking it up soon though. http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/water_reports/lakepool.fct

Come by on the 19th if you can. We will be having a night trny. out of Drake Harbor and there will be a Lot of BOC members there. Would be great to meet you! Hope this helps and you find plenty of bait and catch a Hawg.....

7. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just got home, bait is hard to find, lots of throws! At night you can find all you need in Drake Harbor, I'm always in bed at 6am so I cant help there. I checked the pipe above the bridge today, not happening, also threw in the old channel with the same results. I used alot of bait I had left over from last night, caught fresh then put in a zip lock bag on ice, still was pretty fresh and usually works when the fish are biting. Chris

8. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    How was the fishing biting? Did ya catch any big ones.:wink:

9. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Posted a sad thread about it :angry:!

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Ditto that. All the larger shad we found on Saturday were down deep in the main channel below the dam, at the inside bend. We caught alot of bait in blue branch too.:wink:

11. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    LOL I found it.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welp...here's the results :embarassed:. No shad = no catfish. It's that simple. :sad2: Threw the net all day long seemed like. All I caught was 2 bluegills, which we did cut up for bait, 2 bass...one of them was prolly 3# :smile2:, and one crappie. Once we saw CatfishSafari catching shad in the channel below the dam, I threw in there a few times to no avail. The net I was using was too small, and the rope wasn't long enough. Also, our sonar is not the best. Actually, it might be an OK sonar, but we could not distinguish bait from all the other blobs on the screen, or catch any of those blobs lol. :angry:

Anyways, I caught 1 walleye on a bluegill head. Bob caught 1 white bass, 1 dinky channelcat, and the absolute smallest flathead I've ever seen. :smile2:

Guess it beats workin' eh? Better luck next time.

13. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Matt sorry to hear about your trip. Those shad can be hard to get this time of year. I have found it takes a bigger net when they are hard to get. A good graph helps too. One that you can tell a shad school from just fish. Better luck next time. Still beats working. :wink::smile2::smile2:

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If that's not incentive for getting a big net and learning to throw it, I don't know what is! :smile2:

Some days are like that - I spent 3 hours looking for bait before the tournament on Saturday and would barely have had enough to get started if it weren't for Steve happening to find a school at just the right time. When the resident expert spends 2+ hours looking for bait, you know it's hard to find.

But your chances of finding something -- anything -- are a whole lot higher with a big net than with a small net. Even a bad throw on a big net will often times cover more area than a perfect throw of a smaller one.

If you are currently throwing a 4 ft radius net and upgrade to an 8 ft radius net, you're covering about 150 square feet more surface area on every throw (assuming a perfect throw of course) (50 sq ft vs 201 sq ft). For that kind of gain, it's not really that hard to learn to throw the bigger net.

15. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Well said Marty. I still think the tournament director should supply the shad so everyone has a fair opportunity. Dont you agree Troy. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: Just Kidding thats all part of being a catfishermen. Dont ya just wish you could save all those shad from the days you throw the net once and its full to days like today. :0a32:

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Im bringing some hot dogs just for you Josh. :smile2: Turkey franks.....:smile2:

17. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    I hope ya at least cook them first and bring some buns. This way I have something to eat. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Dang, turkey franks! I'm in for sure.:0a31:

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The only thing worse would be a turkey burger. You ever ate one of them things. YucK.....:0a30:

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Just once, lol.