WARNING !

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Water depths on most lakes are slowly going down and people are damaging their props., etc on our waterways. Stay in the right center of the channel going to and fro or you are going to make your boat mechanic happy.

Saturday I was on my way to fish and I left the main channel to go into a creek, something I have done a hundred times. I went wide as I turned, but I hit a stump. Net results is that I bent my prop., shaft and buster up some o rings and the bottom seal. Estimated cost around $700. Right now my stomach is a little upset! With as low as the water got last year, I did not damage a thing, but several of my buddies messed up their lower ends. Guess I was lucky last year.

Be careful out thar, you hear.

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    GREAT INFO JUST HAD A BUDDY BUST UP HIS LOWER END AS WELL I TRIED TO TELL HIM STAY IN THE MIDDLE.....THANKS FOR THE POST!

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I hit a rock in the lake behind Buckhorn dam last year. It took chunks out of my skeg and destroyed my prop on a brand new 25 HP Honda. I put a Piranha composite prop with replaceable blades and a Rockhopper guard on as soon as I could get them. An aluminum or composite prop will give before your output shaft does and reduces the damge to the lower unit from a propeller hit on a solid object. With the Piranha prop I can replace one, two or all three blades depending on damage. Plus the composite blades will bend and/or break before damaging the engine. I keep a bag in my tool box with a prop wrench and three extra blades.

[​IMG]

Since then I have hit two stumps or logs or something hidden in the water and in both cases the lower unit was guided up and over the object. No prop damage or lower unit damage. The critical factor is to SLOW down in unknown water. A full speed hit would probably still damage something.

:wink:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    That has to be a sickening sound.......:sad2:

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's pretty terrible. There is one place I've fished a couple times on the NE Cape Fear that has a big dang metal thingamabob some idiot threw out there about 10ft off the end of the dock. It sits about a foot under the water. Needless to say I ran all over the thing the first time I went out, no idea how I didn't mess something up. It choked the motor out and I though I'd ruined it but I guess since I was going slow I lucked out.

PS-Mac what's up with you kissing that bass? Must have been feeling a little sick that day:smile2:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great update and safety tip, thanks

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Wes, I started to dedicate the green fish to you in my original post, but it slipped my mind. I would have weighed that sucker, but my scales are in my boat. Looked like a good four plus pounder, felt like a ten pounder on my lite weigh gear.

8. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac
    Great post. You really got the full effect of hitting something. I caught a big rock up river and damaged my prop so I know the feeling. To bust the seal was expensive and bad luck. As many hours as you long on the lake these things are going to happen.

9. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sorry to hear about your problems, we all feel your frustration. If we don't get some rain soon we are going to need kayaks to navigate the water.:eek:oooh:

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Ya'll must not have had the same amount of rain that we've had. Our rivers in SE NC are finally full again and flowing. Haven't checked the status of the Waccamaw but the Cape, NE Cape Fear, Black, and Town Creek are all back up as of this past weekend. Don't know how long it'll last but it's nice for now!

PS-Mac, that bass certainly looks to be in the 4lb range, nice fish!

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Highrock and Badin down 6+ feet. I dont have to warn anybody about what I hit. it's fully exposed now. My buthole draws up everytime I pass that old bridge in front of the tressel at Badin. the wall that goes from 20' up to 4' back to about 15'. I useally buzz through there but lake is lower everytime I go so been scary lately. nice one lkn blues plenty of other bait out there not as pretty, I'd chunk him back to.

12. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I hit that about two months ago Jerry .knocked my engine up and it tapped me on the shoulder and went back down .Nothing broke just skinned up lower unit.