Warning

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by r ward, May 1, 2007.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    To all you lumberjacks and tree men or if you just use a chainsaw once in awhile the reason for the kevlar chaps is simple cause you ain't quick enough to stop a moving chainsaw if it jumps. If you think you are ask my oldest son catfishrepoman aka Richard Ward IV yesterday he went to work at a tree service he has been with for a little while now in good shape Last night he wnt home with 19 stitches in his leg 4 more in his muscle so now they all will wear the chaps

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Richard, he is lucky it could have been worse, thats not a easy job.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Glad everything is still attached, I've seen some real bad chainsaw mishaps. I have a very healthy fear/respect for them.

4. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I used to look at those chaps in the Bailey's catalog and think "what kind of dork would were those". Since then I've hauled boys to the hospital to get body parts put back together. I've personally destroyed a pair of carhartt coveralls and two pair of Timberland work boots.

The chainsaw, even with the new-aged safety features, is still statisticly the most dangerous tool in the world. I've been too lucky for too long so lastyear I spent about $50 and bought a pair. I reasoned that I've got around a 1000 bucks in the primary saw I cut with. It's got the horsepower of a Yamaha 125cc motorcycle. What's another $50 for safety chaps. That's cheeper than any emergency room visit you'll ever make and if I never get the opportunity to put them to the test, you won't here me complain. When I'm falling trees I always were my hardhat nowdays too. I had the whole world crashing down around me one day but that's another story al together. Alaskan crab fishing is ranked as the most deadly job in the world. Logging is a close second. Wear your gear.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    my cousin & uncle were cutting up a dead tree and my uncle wasnt watching & was almost gutted like a fish with my cousin turned around. if it wasnt for his big belly Id be short a family member.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Carelessness plays a part in most all accidents ,but wearing safety gear cant be stressed enough .As a welder I,ve had lots of close calls with flying bits of metal from grinding I never go without my safety glasses anymort God only promised us a certain amount of body parts an I aim to keep all mine....togather.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Good thread.

I've beat this drum before, but this looks like a good place to nag some more: anyone pouring lead should wear long, cotton sleeves, leather gloves, and a full face shield.

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I do hope he learns from his accident right now he says he did will know more about that later but yes there is a reason they make the safty gear and rules beside someone being bored

9. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Sorry that he had to learn it the hard way, and I'm glad it wasn't worse. I remember when we were first required to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) how we used to whine about it. Getting caught without a hardhat on costs you $50 at the company I work for now (OSHA would hit them for far more than that). I realize that hardhats, steeltoes, and safety glasses have saved me from enough injuries (some of which could've been serious) so I don't complain anymore, I'm thankful. Safety must be approached with an attitude of vigilance. Be ready and you won't have to get ready.

Jon

10. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    It is a very hard job. One of those jobs Americans won't do.

11. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I hope that is sarcasm I hear in your voice. :wink:

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    those of us who have done it understand why most dont want to do it . when i was 18 i worked for a sawmill cutting ceders till i put 15 stitches in my knee and wore a brace for 9 weeks , but i still worked in the mill cutting lumber with the brace on for 7 of those weeks . back when i was doing safety gear wasnt available to me , plus when i cut my knee it just so happened i was workin in 6" of snow

its not that americans wont do it , its more that americans are smarter than that

13. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    You got it.
    A hard job for sure that plenty Americans do. I loaded pulp wood way back when it was loaded mostly by hand.

14. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I still meet people who think I cut short wood. I just tickled to death that straight trucks and knuckle booms are fashonable.

15. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    What it all boils down to is wear the safety equipment. It has taken years to develope the proper safety equipment for todays jobs and sports and development in on going. It is not worth a hill of beans if you don't get it and use it. We are all mortal no matter what we think, and yes it will happen it us no matter how good we are at our job or our favorite sport.

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    After seeing the damage to and meeting your son,I would hate to see how much damage it did to the chainsaw.Heh,heh!It was a pleasure and a privilege to meet you and your sons Richard.I thank you and your sons for all that you did for me.You have no idea how much I received from you all,just by being there and the way I was treated.I love you Brother and those two new nephews of mine.Yea!I am claiming them if they will have me.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

17. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Guess he should of stuck to with the repo business:tounge_out: :wink: . Tell him that I've got a plastic chainsaw that my little boy will let go of if he needs a trainer:embarassed:

18. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    After Katrina, we spent alot of time on the chainsaw. What my husband didnt get before heading back to work for a cpl weeks I got. I didnt use chaps but I did use safty glasses.
    Its a big saw and after a cpl hours, my arms felt like puddy. I only had it kick back at me once and it scared me. I put it down and took a break and finished later.
    They can be very dangerous, falling trees can give ya an eery feeling as well. Im glad that I dont have to worry about that this hurricane year:crazy:

19. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I don't know , Amy. According to Al Gore hurricains will be comming all the way to Colorado in the next cople years if we don't stop driving and start eating vegan diets. He's got a consensus of scientist who say so. :roll_eyes: