Warning

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ka_c4_boom, Oct 10, 2006.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a box turtle i picked up on the road about 3 months ago . i keep it in a 20 gallon fish tank that i fixed up for it , i put gravel on the bottom and a clump of sod on top of that . one end is grass and dirt free i put a pint of water in the tank a week and various weeds and vegetibles and red worms for him or it to eat . it seems to be doing well its only 3 inches in diameter the smallest box turtle iv ever seen .

heres the warning do not i repeat do not let your 12 year old step son get ahold of your turtle my step son just a few minutes ago went to the bath room with his hands over his mouth i thought hes pulling another tooth i got up and said something to him and seen something in his hands it was the turtle , it seems he tried to kiss it , WOW what was he thinking it grabbed his upper lip :lol: and would not let go :lol: you would think after it bit his finger last week he would know better well i told him to pull it off and he did :lol: its safely back in the tank , i bet the boy leaves it alone for a while :lol: :lol: :lol: i cant help but laugh

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    It is funny, BUT turtles carry disease. Check it out on the internet. That is why they stopped selling turtles years ago. I always loved them as a child and still do, but I don't handle them anymore.

Please watch him for a few days and research it on the net.

Take care.
    Cheryl

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    lol...some folks are slow learners Charles:lol:

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for the story Chuck, kids will do the darndest things sometimes. I am :lol: :lol: :lol:. My sis had a baby snapping turtle for a while, shell MAYBE two inches across. Cute little thing, until it started the snapping :big_smile:! Wesley might have to mess with it just one more time before he learns his lesson, since three times is the charm :roll_eyes:.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's pretty funny but I hope he's alright too.

I had a large softshell turtle try and take the end of my thumb off once..........but that's another story.:lol: :lol:

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    oh by the way its bite did not break the skin

7. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Good thing it wasn't a BIG turtle. Wes and Cody are always up to something :roll_eyes:

8. rig runner

rig runner New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks for the lesson on turtle safety & the good laugh.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Thanks for the laugh, wonder if he'll give it a hug tomorrow.

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Wow... glad to hear it didn't break the skin. I did laugh a little though... reminds me of the time my friend picked up a water snake and got ticked when it bit him...

Good thing he is a natuaralist and well studied in biology and the such HAHA

SO what does he do? picks up the next one he sees....

Gotta love lessons gone unlearned!

11. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hehee,,I got bit by a full grown box turtle when I was about 7.Right on the upper lip.Yea I was trying to kiss it...Guess it got the last laugh..But it only took that once..I never forgot it.:confused2:
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

12. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    :big_smile: Did ya ask him why he did it? Gotta love 12 year olds... they never know why... just "cuz". Glad he's ok!

Carolyn

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Now that was funny.I'LL have to remember to not go around trying to kiss turtles. They might not like it.:lol: Thanks for the laugh. seriously ,I'm glad that he is ok.

14. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Cheryl

You are correct they do carry disease but most pet stores still sell box turtels and red ear, at least they do around here.

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

Maybe it's just a law around here. I know a few years back I saw some in VA and the loophole was if you bought the turtle box, they gave you the turtle free, as they were not allowed to sale them.

When I was a child, a neighbor lady had the tiny ones you could buy back then and I loved to watch it. She also had pet squirrels that came in off the tree branches onto her screened in porch.

Take care.
    Cheryl

16. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    He should audition for Wild Boys, sounds like a Stevo in the making.

17. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    some Kids have to feel the fire. Or in this case the beak. It was water turtles (red ear sliders) they use to sell. Problem was turtles and dirty water equals salmonella. plus a huge percentage died do to neglect.
    Trivia, Were does the olderst living dime store turtle live?

:boss:

18. olyeller

olyeller New Member

State:
    Kingsland, TX
    Let's just hope he doesn't get mad and try to wee-wee on it.:eek:oooh:

19. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    That had to hurt! But it is still funny!:lol:
    Bill

20. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Chuck,

That cracked me up! Glad the kids alright, but i can bet it wont be the last time hes bit be something out of curiosity. Bless his heart...That was pretty darn funny though.

thanks for sharing!:lol:

They do carry diseases. Purhaps a pet whos bite is less severe might help.