Warning Virus

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Jun 6, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    just Got Word There Is A New Computor Virus.they Say It Will Destory Your Complete Hard Dr. (c Dr.) This Was Announced By Cnn News. They Say That Microsoft Says Its The Worse One Yet. Thing Is It Comes Through Your E-mail.if You Recieve Mail With Attached File Invitation Do Not Open It. They Say It Opens With An Opymlic Torch. Aslo Says You Will Recieve It From Someone Who Has Your E-mail Address.all I Know Abot It At This Time. I Found Out From My Brother-in- Law From Qcy,il. So Everone Just Be Careful.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks alot John, that new profile pic looks good brother.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Will do,thanks for the heads up!!!

4. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    From the Sophos Website:

Olympic torch

Description :This hoax has been distributed across the internet. The report is untrue, and the email can be safely deleted.
    The text of the hoax reads as follows:
    Please read the attached warning issued today.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS:

You should be alert during the next days:
    Do not open any message with an attached filed called "Invitation" regardless of who sent it .

It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which "burns" the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called "invitation", though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.

This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.

This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, COPY THIS E-MAIL AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS AND REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US.

Important: Many virus hoaxes:
    • falsely claim to describe an extremely dangerous virus
    • use pseudo-technical language to make impressive-sounding (but impossible) claims
    • falsely claim that the report was issued or confirmed by a well-known company
    • ask you to forward it to all your friends and colleagues
    As usual, you are urged not to pass on warnings of this kind, as the continued re-forwarding of these hoaxes simply wastes time and email bandwidth.
    It is possible that you may receive a hoax via email with a file attached. Obviously, such file attachments should be treated with caution as they may be virus infected. Sophos recommends deleting virus hoax emails, whether they contain file attachments or not.
    Sophos suggests a policy to help prevent hoaxes from spreading in your company.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    It's a hoax!
    http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/invitation.asp

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Just another reminder that there are truly evil people in this world!

Thanks for the heads up.

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
  8. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    ok! Is It A Hoax Or What? Im Seeing Some Say It Is And Some Say It Isnt. Just Wondering So I Can Tell My Wife, She Lives On This Computer.

9. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
  10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :confused2: DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS A HOAX. JUST PASSED ON WHATI WAS TOLD. WAY I LOOK AT IT BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.DIDN'T KNOW I WAS GOING TO STIR UP SUCH A DEBATE.

11. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    John, you don't have to apologize. I appreciate you watching out for all of us.

12. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    John,

Like Jen said, there is no need to apologize for trying to help :smile2:

Dave

13. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This story may be a hoax - but there are plenty worms and various crap that get sent around all the time. Some use vulnerabilities in your operating system to come in completely unnoticed just by being online.

The best thing you can do is use a quality anti-virus. I personally recommend -> Avast!

It's free and covers all your bases - email, instant messengers, p2p downloading etc.

Also - if you get a forward/chain letter you can usually google it by searching for specific keywords or phrases, "use quotes for phrases".
    I always check that before sending anything on - 99% of the time its either a hoax or partial hoax.

~
    Brian