Warning!!! Very bad email scam on the loose

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Kojak, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just wanted to let you all in on an email so that you do not make the same mistake I just did. If you are a Bank Of America customer you might get an email saying your online checking is blocked. DO NOT FOLLOW THE LINK TO LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT. It will ask you to relog in your information, mind you this site has all the logos, security keys and looks to be legit...Its not. Sadly I fell victim to this scam today and my checking account was debited almost $400 in one swipe. Luckily my fiace caught it and was able to get everything cleared up at the bank before they got to the savings account. The reason I am writing this is so that none of my new found friends have to go through this, and perhaps you can learn from my stupid mistake.:cry::cry: oh...i forgot to mention that whoever did this now has all the information they need to get any credit in my and my fiances name they feel like getting.

Jerred

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    That really, REALLY sucks. Sorry 'bout the hard luck. Is there anything that can be done to get the $ back?

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for the heads up Jerred, I too am a Bank of America customer (although I've seriously been thinking of movin' on....not to say this is THEIR fault.) I'll be lookin' out for that email. We appreciate you being such a caring BOC brother :big_smile:, thanks again.

4. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois

Yeah the bank is going to give our money back, Thank god. The only real thing that worries me is that now there is someone out there with personal information and alot of it thanks to this.

Jerred

PS. Whoever moved this thanks, I was wondering how to tell everyone:)

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Man, People that would do something like that need a beating:angry::angry::angry:

6. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    thinks for heads up kojak

7. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Sorry to hear this happened to you. Contact all three Credit Bureaus and have them put a fraud alert on your credit report.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    EXCACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NOW! they can stop any further BS, and Maybe, just maybe find them out...... Hope all works out fine for you two.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    If you haven't done that yet, do it 8am in tomorrow morning!!!!!!!
    Will save you thousands of dollars and HOURS and HOURS of headaches on the phone.....

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I'm not a Bank of America customer but I did get the e-mail yesterday. Straight to the trash bin before I even opened it.

11. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    dang, thats aweful. Hopefully it will all work out. Notify Transunion, Equifax and Experian ASAP of this mishap. If anything happens, it can be caught before too much damage is done. Keep tabs on your credit report for the next year or longer.

Good Luck!

12. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Between those and the emails from Nigeria banks with dead customers and millions of dollars in their accounts and they can't find any next of kin, I receive hundreds of them a day.
    Most of them I delete, but some of them I forward to: spam@uce.gov

Ken

13. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    sorry this happen it happen to my husband and me almost the same last year we went out of town used the depit card and byt he time we got home on sunday they had taken all the money out of our account almost 1200hundred dollars thank god the bank notice the withdrawl and call us on monday morning and asked what was going on they notice that it was all on line coming from cal and overseas sat the same time so they were able to catch the ppl who did it due to they could track the web site number. again sorry to hear this.sandy

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks for the heads up .I'm not a Bk of Am customer but if they can do it there they can get to any bank.When I get E-Mail and I don't know who it's from I don't even open i just delete.

15. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    thanks for the tip Jarred. I dont have that bank but it could happen to anyone anywhere.

16. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Thanks for the headsup. I will be watching for it.
    Bill

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    This is probably a redundant statement but NEVER OPEN EMAILS FROM BANKS OR ANYTHING THAT MENTIONS MONEY OR ACCOUNTS. Think about it, how many genuine emails do you really get from people you don't know. If it's from a name you aren't familiar with delete it.
    Banks don't send account question emails. Neither do they call you asking you to verify information. If you ever get a call from who you think may be your bank tell them you will stop by the bank to sort it out. DO NOT call them back at the number they will try to give you. Be suspicious, be careful, be safe...W

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry about your problem.

Adding to the good info that metalman said.

I would almost bet that the [SIZE=-1]spoof email[/SIZE] you received didn't start off with your name. Spoof mail will usually start off with something like "Dear Customer'', "Dear Member" etc, etc, but not your name. Real mail, will use your name after Dear.

If you use Gmail it sends all spoof mail to the spam folder, blocks the spoof url and puts a red warning banner across it like this one I received.

19. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My fiance and I joined Lifelock. For ten dollars a month they do pretty much everything for you. The fraud flags have been put up on all three credit agencies. Lifelock is a company I would recommend to anyone who cares about their credit. The service comes with a 1 million dollar guarantee. Hopefully we caught it early enough that nothing bad comes of it. Ill keep you all posted as things go on. The really bad part of all this is that I know all those rules about email and stuffand preach them to everyone even my fiance, and it ended up happening to me lol. Oh well, what the heck was I thinking as I did it........I dont know.

Jerred

20. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    im sorry to hear about all the trouble your going through bro,those people need to be taken out behind the toolshed and thoroughly beaten senseless for trying to ruin your good thing,
    they have been trying to phish accounts leftand right on myspace lately and i too fell for that luckily we didnt bank online but no telling what personal information they got on me, and the sad part is no flags go up about it because it LOOKS just like the regular myspace pages minus toms little page bulletins.
    its a sick world we live in when you have people trying to take things from you,so they dont hafta do anything for themselves!
    if only they had ways to track the culprits and turn them over to the proper authorities,or you for that matter lol im sure you could come up with a great punishment for them! lol lynch mob what? lol
    :wink: