Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Warning: Possible Scam Going Around

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  slimdaddy 
#1 ·
Just wanted to warn everyone of a possible scam going around. I just recieved a call to my home number from an automated service telling me that I needed to extend a warranty on my vehicle. I purchased a truck this year so I wanted to find out why my warranty had run out so soon. When the service asked if I wanted to extend my warranty I pressed the number to speak with a rep. Keep in mind, the service never said what company they were calling on behalf of. When the "rep" got on the phone, he sounded like I'd woke him from a nap. He asked me in an unprofessional tone what I wanted to do with my warranty. When I asked him for which vehicle the warranty was for, he hung up on me. :confused2:

I wonder how many people have given information to these individuals so far? Be careful everyone. Protect your identity!

#2 ·
I get crap like that all the time but in the mail, I do with it like I do all the rest of the junk mail. It goes into shreader and then in the trash! But I bet there are people that will fall for something like that. Thanks for posting, you may save somebody a lot of heartache.

don3778

#3 ·
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, over the phone does sound flakey. However, you will probably recieve the same type of offer through the mail. I did anyways shortly after I bought my car. It said something to the effect that my warranty may be about to expire. I'm thinking WHAT?? I just bought my car...it has a 5 year warranty. I took the letter to the dealer, and they said to ignore it.

Anyways, my warranty company went bankrupt! I wanted to sue somebody, or beat somebody...I was furious. Mostly because I didn't find out about it 'till I needed some work done, and the dealer would only pay half of the bill. The warranty was about to expire in a month anyways, so I ate the bill.

#5 ·
Here's something that initially sounded pretty suspicious, but turned out to be the real thing. Last June, my daughter bought a Dodge pickup from the original owner; something like 170,000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, she got a call asking if she wanted to extend the warranty on it. Extend? It had long since expired! But it turned out to be a company that works with the dealership, and was a valid offer to put a full drive-train warranty on her truck for another 100,000 miles. Wasn't cheap, but on the other hand, there's a pretty good chance that something expensive is going to break before 270,000 miles, right?

#6 ·
I got one of them calls & asked witch trucks we were talking bout the 78 or 9(LOL) I was on em good and yup you guessed it I got the dial tone(LOL)the only warrenty we have ever had was me and my mechanis skills and aint nuttin I cant fix if I want to:roll_eyes:They aint getting no money here and my idenitey is not a good one to have at times believe me(LOL) a Job is good to:wink:

#8 ·
Thanks Dameon.

First, we don't answer calls from any unknown person. If it is important they will leave a message. 99% of those don't leave messages. Our number is on the national Do Not Call list so we get few unknown calls.

We do get mail about extended warranties... recently purchased a new vehicle, it has a 3/5 year factory warranty. Already been getting junk mail about extended warranties. :eek:oooh:

#9 ·
We're on the National Do Not Call list as well. But we still get the calls. I used to get all bent out of shape over stuff like that, but now it's just an opportunity to have some fun. I'll act like I'm really interested in whatever they are pitching, then throw in a question like, " What time is it there?", or " What's the weather like there?'. Then there is also those few individuals who get the royal treatment. How much money do you make? What's your phone number? Where do you live? By the time I'm done with them they are ready to find another way to make money!!:smile2:

#15 ·
(LOL) remember on the phone be yerself:roll_eyes:
uh you wake me up I have extreme issues(LOL) & I hate phones plus on that list with vulgder mouth ready to talk ship.....aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh mateey!:cool2:lol-lol-lol- ask Lilley:wink:

#16 ·
I got one of those one time and the lady on the other end told me all my banking history, and how much was in there at that specific moment and she wanted me to give her my social security number so she could enter me into a database so that if my identity was every stolen it could be traced and the person would be caught. I immediately called my bank and changed accounts.

#18 ·
These are funny posts. Prior to me purchasing my house, I hardly ever got anything in the mail saying I was preapproved for credit cards with astronomical credit limits and APR's to boot, but once the house was bought they poured into the mailbox. I would receive on average about 20 a week and I got tired of having to shred all this stuff, so me and the wife decided to send them all back. When they would show up, they always had the No postage necessary if mailed in the US so the game began. We would take the offer from one and place it in the offer envelope from another (Blank of course) and send them back. We figured since they were paying for postage we might as well use it. This went on for about a month and then all of the sudden they stopped showing up. We even got a letter from one of the companies saying what we were doing was wrong. We just sat back and laughed about it.

#20 ·
These are funny posts. Prior to me purchasing my house, I hardly ever got anything in the mail saying I was preapproved for credit cards with astronomical credit limits and APR's to boot, but once the house was bought they poured into the mailbox. I would receive on average about 20 a week and I got tired of having to shred all this stuff, so me and the wife decided to send them all back. When they would show up, they always had the No postage necessary if mailed in the US so the game began. We would take the offer from one and place it in the offer envelope from another (Blank of course) and send them back. We figured since they were paying for postage we might as well use it. This went on for about a month and then all of the sudden they stopped showing up. We even got a letter from one of the companies saying what we were doing was wrong. We just sat back and laughed about it.
Hmmm!!! New ways to mess with salesfolk!! Thanks for the great idea!:wink::big_smile:

#21 ·
I get calls and cards in the mail. I have called and gotten a good sales talk, too bad I didn't take em up on it, I was told I could get a full warranty even with over 200,000 miles. About a year later I had repairs that cost more than the warranty. I still get stuff in the mail, but I just take my vehicle to the dealer and let him fix it. The dealer usually gives me lifetime warranty on what they fix. That has paid off. It is expensive but I got reliable transportation.

#22 ·
Dont get me started. I cant stand doing business over the phone talking to phone jockey's. 90% aint got a clue and once said, its too hard to undo.They record and type the part that suits them.

The more calls, mail , advertisement I get, the less I buy into.
I just went through a phone jockey. Its going to cost me a 240. buck problem cause they lied. That will help not reduce my car insurance. LMAO

Thanks for the tip. I caught on bout 7 years ago. If I dig deep, bout 12 years ago.

My best advice, when the sale call comes in, it's the perfect time to let the phone hang off the hook.

Y'all should see my mail box. Its full of return to sender. LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.