Warning: Ford Trucks

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by drpepper, Mar 28, 2009.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Guys... check your steel brake lines from front to rear,, (especially near the rear) for rust corrosion on your 150's thru 350's. up to 2003's.... it's common and it's serious bad news when they pop on you suddenly.... especially if you have your boat hitched. It'll only take you a few minutes to check.

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    It never hurts to give a vehicle a good safety check @ periodic intervals. Around here, when people back their boats down the ramp into & around the saltwater, it creates major corrosion on the brake components. So when I do a brake job I try to spray paint everything down, in order to delay the inevitable :crazy:

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My 2000 F250 had the rear line break last fall,,, I was lazy and using it to pull a 10' wheel disk in the field,, I thought the bouncing and corn stalks found the weak spot. lol

Boy will the corn stalks fly when you disk at 10 - 15 mph. lol 4 wheel low and let her rip.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would think no matter the make ,I live in the Southwest,Salting the roads heavilt isn't much of a concern here like it is in your area. I can see that it might be a good thing to do in some of the colder and wetter parts of the world.:cool2:

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had an 86 that popped the rear feed line, real pain to get to, between the fuel tank and the frame.

6. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I had a 1999 F-150. Rear brake line parted. Seals went out on rear axle. Had to replace rear axle. Alternator went out. Knuckle joints on front went out (4 WD). Don,t own a ford truck anymore.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I hate to tell you, but they all can have rusty break lines bust. My 85 chevy did it, the ones on my 98 s10 are rusting (just surface rust so far). I looked at a 94 suburban a friend had, front break line was rusted and busted.
    This is why i like to run my vehicles thru a car wash once in a while. Get one with a good undercarriage wash and it'll prevent a lot of rust related problems, especally if you live where they salt roads, or like me live almost surounded by salt water. If you dont like car washes, a sprinkler running under the car for a while will do the same thing.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    True that- I Mentioned only the "later" years because it's more unexpected for owners than an 80's or early 90's. (Folks are more surprised when their 6 year old trucks' brake line has rusted in two already) And for trucks, it's what I see the most of- but earlier F trucks are same/simular. and I know lot's of folks- especially on this forum own these trucks.
    I watched an Excursion last month- towing a boat- climb on top of a little Cavalier full of kids when the rear line popped...
    I have an 01 Excursion and I replaced my line two years ago BEFORE it popped.
    But yeah, cars and trucks of ALL years get it. Some states are worse than others..... Just a general heads up from a Ford & ASE master tech is all.:wink:

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    lol I can picture it now .

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    speaking from experience when you guys are checking your lines pop them out of the plastic clips and check there because 90% of the time that is the first place that goes.. also while your at it with the brake system there is a redundant brake switch on the mastercylinder on most of the 80s to 2000 fords that goes bad and will burn your truck to the ground!! pull the plug out of the switch and look for moisture.. if its dry your good if not replace it!! there is a recall for this problem but i know how most people are with older vehicles and not taking them for service... :cool2:

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes... good post biga.... the recall take only a few minutes.... get an appointment and giter done!

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    The recall part # is 1L1Z-9F924-AA, it only takes a minute or so to install. The part is about $20.00, so if you don't want to take your vehicle to the dealer, buy the part & do it anyway :cool2:

The function of the switch was to cancel the cruise control by using fluid pressure rather than the brake light switch.

The tools required to remove the old switch is a 9/16" wrench & a 7/8" wrench or crescent wrench to install the new one.

HTH, Elliot

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Good post on the recall part, there are diferent #'s for diff vehicles & some use just the wire replacement w/a fuse but most require the new switch & wire......FYI on f150's thru f450 super dutys, that switch is the same no matter the year, so even if it isnt on the recall just go to the dealer & tell them that you want the recall, that system never had a fuse in it therefore causing them to catch fire, now the wire repalcement has a fuse & updated switch...........

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:

You are correct but my thought process is that if the switch didn't leak brake fluid into the electrical part of the switch; thereby causing the fire, then there would be no need for the fuse. So since the updated switch doesn't leak, that's what I keep in stock & replace them all with & haven't any problems, JMO.....Elliot

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas

Actually for the ones that didnt leak there is just a harness recall that comes w/a fuse. the ones that did leak have the fuse and switch...just trying to keep yall up to date is all , they both will work, but you really should have the one w/the fuse on there also for added security, we have had some come in after the harness only was replaced and their cruise or taillights werent working, it blew the fuse w/the old switch !!! So we put the new switch/harness combo now , no problems now...

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does your truck have to have cruise control to have this problem???? Mine is a plain jane 5 speed stick, 4x4 , with very little for options.

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    YES, If yours doesn't have cruise control as an option, you'll be safe:wink: