Warning about liability involved with underage friends/family drinking

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by r ward, Oct 25, 2008.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    We have had a problem in our area with underage drinking as is everywhere I am sure recently there was a 19 or 20 year old young man die because of his drinking and driving as a result of this there are about 12 warrants for Vehicular Homicide being served on the people who sold him the booze or let hiim leave drunk and driving and or drove him to the store to buy it I am not sure how many will stand up in court but I hope it wakes people up to the fact yes you can be held accountable for your friends actions if you are there when it happens and did not try to stop them

2. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Underage drinking and drinking and driving can have such disastrous results. If people will just think about the possible outcome before they serve or help a minor get alcohol a lot of tragedies could be avoided.

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    They've been doing that here for a long time, and it has stopped some of the parents with the notion that "they'd rather them do that at home" from providing their youth and their friends a place to get drunk and then letting them leave.

Last one I heard of here was a deputy sheriff that supplied a bunch of boys booze at his rural home. One got caught and they made him famous, which he richly deserved.:confused2:

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I lost my Dad and a younger Brother from their own DUI and to this day I do not drink nor will I knowingly allow someone to drink and drive

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    People have been getting jammed up due to this type of thing for a while now in Pa. The only beer I`m buying is my own !!!!

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I will not advocate one way or another, but I did it for my kids and their friends whose parents were OK with it. And would do it again.
    Car keys were taken, and at the point where "too much fun" began, the booze was put away.

This was done because I remembered my younger days. If I wanted it, I got it. And the festivities usually involved unrestricted intake and driving. Crashes, hospitals, arrests, fights, and funerals were not uncommon among my crew..
    I saw no reason my kids should have to live that and had no problem with explaining that to a Judge if need be.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Think what you want, but that's exactly what we did with our kids; we took the mystery/taboo out of it and they got the 'drinkin stage' out of their system right at home; however we supplied them with nothing, they had (and were) to be resourceful enough to come up with their own refreshments. Several 'campouts' there were at our place........and the gate out was chained and padlocked, ........ It worked!

(they wanna throw you in jail now for doin such a thing)

8. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Please read again!!!

There is a difference between drinking and letting a child get DOG DRUNK. I don't think that letting someone elses kids come over for a big drinking party is the right thing to do...if that parent wants to do that LET THEM do it. Then the responsibility IS THEIRS. I can NEVER agree with allowing those kids to leave, which is what the deputy (poor excuse for one too) did that I wrote about. He was fired and the entire community lost any respect they had for him, and I think he did deserve exactly what he got.

We were allowed at 16 to drink "A beer" "A glass of wine" in my fathers home, we served wine at the table. But NO we were not allowed to get drunk. He was French and and they practiced that culture. none of us played the game of going and drunk and coming home that way nor did we get drunk at home. However-- our friends were NOT allowed to be there and partake in that activity. So I do somewhat speak from an experience that I had in my life.

Drinking held no fascination for me. I didn't even want to...I drank some wine at 14 and then never drank again till age 19, wayyyy after I left home. Though I could have, I didn't have that desire.

So do I think "bad" of you for letting a teenager at 17 or 18 have "A" drink, do I think you are the devil???? Not really... it's not something I introduced my children though I can tell you that. If you are providing that for their friends I think that's a MISTAKE and I don't mind saying so. It's NOT your kid and I don't care if the parent does agree. How do you know that that child is not predisposed to alcoholism ( and there is a predispostion to it, genetically).

I do feel because of many factors it's playing with fire though. I surely do.

I just wouldn't do it with another's child....too big a responsibility!

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    there is a time an place for a lot of things.

Common sense, education and responsibility.

thats bout what it takes.

10. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    AGREED!!!

11. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Danzig I will say that the fact of the keys being taken and I would assume noone drove away and the parents and you discused in advance is differant what happened up the road from me as they were all underage and bought the booze illegaly and no one took the keys that is what made it so wrong if you know that noone is leaving than that is different

12. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I figure if a kid is old enough to give his or her life for their country, they are damn well old enough to drink a beer. Its like everything else, kids have to be taught to do things responsibly.

13. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    True but it is against the law under 21 and noone stopped them from leaving we all need to stop our friends from drinking and driving

14. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    If they are in the service that may be plausible but I don't know that many that are actively acting that "adult' in their decisions.

Plus I think letting ANY one drink and drive if you knowingly do that is WRONG!!!!!!! It's just wrong. When they kill a carload of kids or themselves on the highway like 2 of my students did, it's a whole different story, believe me. and the survivors are the ones left to live with it :/

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "It's NOT your kid and I don't care if the parent does agree. How do you know that that child is not predisposed to alcoholism ( and there is a predisposition to it, genetically)."

Yep, there were other folk's kids there, and Mom and I personally spoke to their parents before they were allowed to the "party".
    Were they predisposed to alcoholism, no clue, that was their folks call.
    What I can guaranty is that if the parties had not been in a controlled environment, they would have been in an uncontrolled environment.

Not every place is the same, but 'round here, kids party. They did when I was young, they did before I was old enough to care about such things, and they do now. The only difference is the wider range of things to "party" with. And drug dealers don't "card".

17, 18?? You are way behind. Think 13, 14. Round here anyway. Might be younger now days.

No, it is not right. But it is what it is.

16. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    To me the last paragraph says it all
    I do not want this to be an argument cause we all have our ideas about right and wrong but the young people need to know to stop their friends from driving drunk

17. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I agree 100%, I'm saying that parents should take an active roll in teaching their kids responsibility. I'm in no way condoning under age drinking, or drunk driving, or even drinking to excess.

18. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Hon I am well aware of what's going on with youth.. I WORK with them on a daily basis...

I am saying that at 17 and 18 years old they can handle such a thing much better than a kid going through puberty for God's sake. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I am NOT however thinking that that's when the experimentation process starts...thanks for the NON vote of confidence LOL but I am just really not that stupid. :wink:

I think that is true as well. Some of the kids I work with depend on US as teachers to show them the right things to do and I can tell you now I NEVER wanted to be a "role model" but it do come with the job, sometimes unfortunately.

19. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "thanks for the NON vote of confidence LOL but I am just really not that stupid."

Not trying to pick on ya, if you took it that way I apologize, just relating how things are around where I live.

20. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    No problem at all... I know you are just trying to make a point... You know I am not gonna get mad about disagreeing, I think that's what makes the world go round! :tounge_out: