warm weather winter catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Redd, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Hey all. With this weather acting as crazy as it is, I have to swollow my pride and ask for some...(clears throat and mutters) help. Anyway, the temperature went EXTREMELY cold for about a week, earlier this month then went back up to the sixties and generally stayed that way. It'll go through cold spurs whenever a front moves through but won't go under thirty degrees anymore. But when there's not a front, the temps are anywhere from fifty to sixty-five degrees. So personally, I don't even know where to start. I can't seem to get to many deep holes because I don't have a nice enough boat. And another question I needed to ask, was will the cats still move to feeder creeks after a big rain, when the temps are real low? A friend and I went to one and caught a few smaller channel cats, but that was it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks alot, everyone.

-Red

2. shaf

shaf New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good questions! I am eagerly waiting on answers to those questions too. I want to try some winter catting.
    Shaf

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Hey, welcome to the BOC. If you have any questions, don't think twice about askin'. Click on the new thread button at the top of the page after you go to the subject page it'll be about. Again, welcome to the BOC. Greatest catfish site on the web.

-Red

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    First, I don't fish Kansas, so I don't know anything about fishing there.

Here in NC and SC I have better luck in the middle of the day in cold water. I have caught them in failry shallow water, and by that I mean 12-18 feet. For some reason the bite picks up as it warms up in the day. Today and yesterday the bite did not pick up til around 11:00am.

On warm water discharges around power plants where the water temp is 70-80 degrees I seem to do better early in the morning for a couple of hours after daylight. Depths are about the same.

In both situations I have downsized on the baits and the hooks. I have also given the fish more time to take the bait. Most fish are not as aggressive as summer.

For some reason on the lake I fish my luck has never been good fishing deep water, and by that I mean water 25-40 feet. I don't know what it is. I have tried drifting, suspended, anchored. Maybe it is the technique, or the bait, but I just have not found a knack for it.

5. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    welcome to Texas weather ... fun huh? :confused2:

Sounds like pretty standard "winter" in north Texas. Because of the range of air temps possible, most around here tend to watch water temps this time of year, not air temps. Around here, water temps around 50 tend to be break point between shallow vs. deep (blues). Give or take a few degrees around 50, we can catch'em shallow and deep (20+ feet) ... can be pretty scattered though. Catch quite a few, then it slows down for a while, repeat.
    Because of this, most in this area also tend to move around more than they would spring - fall; Even if it is only a short distance, depth varying a few feet. Basically if no bites for 30 mins or so, move, recast to a different spot, etc. Try to find a pattern, depth they are feeding at. Chumming a spot also gets more popular this time of year.
    Hope this helps.

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Thanks a lot for the help, guys. As you could tell, I had no idea about fishing this kind of weather pattern. And am usually too busy with work, to go out often enough and figure it out on my own. Again, much appreciated. Reps to both of ya.

-Red