Warm Water Discharge and Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There is a ver well known warm water discharge on the Susquehanna River in PA. I know of a few wintertime fisherman who has caught nice sized flatheads during the wintertime on corn and spinnerbaits fishing for carp and smallies.

I believe catching a wintertime flathead is one of the most difficult things to do in freshwater fishing and would like to try to attempt this feat .

Any of you guys fish warm discharges? Have any luck? Have any tips

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    howdy tan. i have only caught blues and channels in warmwater discharges. i wouldn't doubt there are flatties cruising around in there too though, because a lot of baitfish and schools of sand bass get in there pretty thick at times. good luck getting you a wintertime flathead bud! the only flats i ever caught in the wintertime were accidents, jigging for walleye. they didn't hit the lures, they were snagged, then released.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Warm water industrial and power plant discharges in the lower Savannah River attract and hold many species of fresh and saltwater fish according to the locations and have for many years.They have even attracted and held Manatees for several months at the time in winter.

Also early in the spring,shallow still "Black" water will heat up with about 3 warm sunny days and you will have fish of all sizes feeding in the afternoon and early part of the night.Blue Gills,bass and Catfish will often feed in the warm shallows with their back out of the water at times.

Now a low of close to 40 degrees is extremely cold and seldom happens for our winter water temperature in this area.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    There's is an impoundment in northern Oklahoma that has a warm water discharge. Have fished it a few times targeting blues and during one of those trips saw a guy, unfortunately, loading 4 or 5 flatheads in his car all 30 plus. Was the middle of December.

5. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Have caught many of channels in the discharge areas like that but never got to hook into a flatty.

6. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

it might depend on what type of water is being discharged. i have searched many local warmwater discharges and have found excelent fishing for some species. but i think many fish find the water diss-tastefull. for example. treated swage water might have some chemical residue of the treatment that might iritate some sensitive fish. heated powerplant water also might have some byproducts that are iritating.

finaly i would mention. that idealy the discharge area shape might effect the attractivity. if the water simply flows and mixes directly into the main river. that might not hold fish as the temps will fluctuate to quickly, if instead it has a channel or bay that is in a constant steady state of increasesd temp, then these fish will become sort of land locked(or temp locked).

i have know of flaties caught in this way in early winter, but by late winter they are gone. probably they just migrate out and are not replaced.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You may be able to catch them there, common sense says fish will seek warm water when its cold. As for them leaving in late winter maybe its because they need that winter (down-time) to recharge or get on the correct cycle.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have a hot water discharge down at the river. The boys used to go down and snag shad, and other things. I haven't tried to fish it, but I'd like to try it someday. Later Andy

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have caught discharge flatties in the winter months, but very small. I have had fish on that I couldn't even turn around though, prob a big blue or flatty, never didn't find out. I am sure it is possible, just not as likely.

10. ClayDog

ClayDog New Member

State:
    Maysville,Kentucky
    I have caught stripers and channels out of warm water discharges but i will agree with everyone else they will cruise to find that warm water and sometimes find that stray bait

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I fish a power plant lake pretty much year round. I have caught flatheads in the winter months in the discharge canal. I haven't caught as many, but that's probably due to the fact that I rarely can get out there in time to get live bait. Usually we're fishing with cut shad or shrimp. Interestingly enough the flatheads usually hit the shrimp, go figure. They are small fish, usually 15lbs or less. I'm sure that there are big fish out there too but we just don't have the bait to get them with.