Warm water and channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by splitshot, Jul 18, 2006.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Went channel cat fishing last night, and got skunked for the first time, this season. My question is, If the shallow water is to warm will the cats find deeper water to feed in? I usually fish around creek mouths that feed the canal, the water is about 5 ft. The center of the canal, is between 20 to 30 ft. deep, got no hits in the deeper water either. we have had some really hot weather. Any suggestion?:confused2:

2. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Could of just been a normal bad day, sometimes the fish just dont bite. But I know the warm water around here is affecting the fish, and they go out to the deeper water where it is cooler.

3. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    The biting catfish are where the baitfish are. Find the baitfish and you have found the catfish.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    This time of year, at midday, I've found cats from 18" deep on down. Baitfish, oxygenation of the water, temperature, all affect where the fish are. On lakes, I lake a bit of movement on the water, better oxygenation. I also look for places there may be some current, no matter how slight. Also do a lot of drift fishing, don't like to sit in one place too long anyhow.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont do very well on any catfish species during the hot summer monthes..I cacth more in November than the summer.

6. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think that all the help above is good info. for you and even myself and for me on my last trip out it seems that even 3 degrees difference in water temp. made some difference in the bites. Drifting is a key to finding them if you are in a boat but on the bamk use the info they have given you. They all sound like they have been there and done that. Shanadoia from Ky.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for your input guys,gotta get a boat:0a23:

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    sounds like they are suspending... thats the problem i've been having too... You just have to systematically use a float and figure out where the fish want the bait to be

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Also try using some punch bait,works really well in the warm water.​

10. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    You guys need to read my thread on crankbaits for channels. I think a lot of the big channels are chasing shad in the deep water.

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Johnny, whats punch bait, Ive never heard of it up here in the northeast.