Warm Summer Nights

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well Vic,
    Yesterday you told me you were going to pull an all nighter! (Warm summer nights and all). Warm nights my aching behind! It's 3:40am and my temperture is reading a balmy 44 degrees up here in God's country. I sure hope you have a big fire and your woolies on. I told Don I was going to be at the fishin hole at 5:00am. He never got back with me, but just in case, I'm going to head out. Personally, I hope he has sense enough to stay in bed nice and warm next to his wife.
    I knew this old German fella, who once said, " If you're nice and warm tucked up in your bed, what would you want to stick your toes out from underneath the covers for"! I now know what he was talking about.
    Good Luck, to you! And for God's sake, good luck to me.
    Talk to you when I get back.
    Sparky

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Man, you got to love this weather. It did not get that chilly here in OH, just wet!! Man we are getting pounded with rain the last few days.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The weather has been crazy all year, I dont expect to see it settle down till the dog days of August, if then.

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well, I fished for 4 hrs. and got one 3pounder on cut bait and that was it.
    Vic, I hope you did better than that if you pulled an all nighter. At least I didn't loose much sleep. LOL
    Sparky

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    hey we boated 26 keeper crappie last night from 6:30-8:30, plus just as many throwbacks. You guys better get up here and fish em with me before I empty that 7 mile long private lake out! And if we get some undersize ones we can put em on a hook for a flathead and float around all night too.

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    That sounds like some great Crappie fishin!

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Sal,
    Have you been fishin for any Flatheads? How about you Steve, I mean Jim.
    Sparky

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Uh... no I have not been out one night yet specifically for a flathead, though I did get a 14 incher (embarassing) while gill fishing with a crawler. I got this boat and it has been a nonstop fishfest for everything else... by the time night rolls around, Im either too pooped to stay awake or Ive stayed too long already and have to get some honey-dos done.

That and my real-world experience of summer 2006 is just about equal to throwing hornets nests on top of beehives while frying bacon naked.... mostly tedious, joy-sucking and constant little pains in the a$$ and elsewhere.

I know I am not hurting anyone but myself by NOT flatheadding... but when I get out on the boat and spend 5 or 6 hours whippin a crappie jig around and a pike spoon, I've seemed to work out a lot of physical itchiness that the idea of "sitting and waiting for a hungry flathead" has not appealed to. Too much time to sit and think I suppose... and I am not interested in having time to think right now.

Ill get to it on the 7th of July. Perhaps that will ignite the flathead hunter in me for the year.

Sal

9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sorry you froze your tail off Sparky. LOL. I did fish Friday night, and it wasn't happening at the Raisin River of all places. I had some live bluegill along with shrimp and nitro worms. What sucks is having three different baits, but only fishing two. I went to two different locations on the Raisin, and the baits didn't get spit on. The wind was up, and it was a little cooler than normal (whatever normal is) but it wasn't cold by any means. I sat in my truck to keep me out of the wind. To make a long story short, I didn't stay out all night. New rule: If I can't get the occasional pulldown (at least once an hour to keep the adrenaline flowing) an all nighter will not happen when I'm alone. The couple I have pulled this year was with good company. Good conversation is essential, especially when the fish refuse to cooperate. I probably won't fish anymore this month, and just opt to fish with you guys on the 7th.

Did I slip that in there? Yes, that weekend is free now.

10. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    complain when its cold complain when its hot gotta love life

11. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's some good Crappie action. Just out of curiousity, what kinda size are the keepers?

12. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Keepers...

Well it depends. Mostly 10+ inch will do, but if a 9 incher gets me with his fins while Im trying to unhook him the penalty is death by fillet knife and then a hot oil skinless bath with only a layer of flour to protect him. I may be severe in my penalties, but that is only cause I love them. It is tough love.

We do have 12+ inch limits often and 13+ limit days too... but those only seem to happen when we cannot keep the fish.... GRRRR!

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hey, you should bring some of those crappie for bait!!! I don't know how long they will last on the hook, but they shouldn't be no different than bluegill. Always thinking about flathead bait. ROTFLOL!

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Speaking of warm summer nights, Saturday it was really hot & humid at home, so I packed kind of light on the "after dark" clothes. Big mistake. My son & I shivered between fish, due to the damp breeze. Back at the ramp, we couldn't get out of the light jackets fast enough, it was still 73 degrees!
    From now on, I'm never going out without the foul weather gear- even if its 90!