Warm Hunting Clothes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bnt55, Nov 28, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Well I finally broke down and purchased a new set of bibs and coat for deer hunting this year. My last set was a mix and match from meijer...walmart...dicks and cabelas, oh and the legs on the bibs were zip tied closed because the zipper broke 2-3 years ago:smile2:. Any rate I went up to basspro and left with a set of arcticshield bibs and parka with a thorough explanation from BP that if these things do not keep me warm they are coming back for a full refund. I dont know if you have heard of these things or not but they are pretty thin and are supposed to retain your body heat with minimal layering...we'll see about that. I will post up a review after a cold morning hunt this coming week or a frigid fishing trip to the river. I am still skeptical although the reviews are pretty good from basspro dot com. Anyrate my original question is how much do you guys spend and waht do you wear to keep your little heinie (or big heinie) warm during the cold morning stand hunts?

Bill

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I wear wool long underwear from Canada, Thick Wool hunting pants, Pendleton Wool Shirt, Wool Scarf, Orange Wool Stocking cap, Polarfleece jacket. Army M65 Field Jacket with Liner on top. If its really cold, all of the above but I climb inside insulated columbia hooded coveralls and wear Army artic "Mickey Mouse Boots". Wool Mittens if its really cold zero degree stuff.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went looking for some warm hunting cloths yesterday, "Black Friday", and was mighty disappointed. I couldn't believe what they were asking for bibs and coats. Kmart was best at $67.00 for bibs, Wal Mart wanted $79.00 for their bibs, but they were made in China, (I don't buy Chinese!) Dicks wanted $169.00 for camo bibs, and they were made in China, too. I have a great hooded freezer/snow mobile suit, rated at -40 degrees, that didn't cost that much.

I need some new camo, but I don't want to get ripped off, and I won't buy from China. I guess it's back to L.L. Bean for some good American wool!

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fall back on layering I learned in the army, training and living in extream cold weather
    temps 40 to 20 deg F I wear 1 to 2 layers of silk arctic gear, jeans, over pants of cold weather BDUS in cammo, heavy wool socks, combat boots, t-shirt over the arctic gear, sweat shirt, real tree cold weather shell. and shooter mitts. I wear this gear when I know it will get in the upper 40s to 50s in the first few hrs of day light.
    For hunting when its down in the teens and below @ dawn and dont get over 30deg in the first few hrs of light I wear a mix, 1 layer arctic gear silk, 1 layer of full poly pro, arctic fleece love that stuff, over sized winter bdu pants or mopp suit pants camo pattern or ol green, cold weather GI boots, heavy wool socks, sweat shirt or heavy wool shirt, old BDU feild jacket or carhart coat, shooting mitts with a hand warmer in each on the back side, realtree cold weather shell if its dri out, snow freezing rain ect out I wear full gortex outer shell top and bottoms.
    Of a note the old Mopp suits are carbon powder impergnated soft and durable and make fine bow hunting garb and hunting garb on their own in temps above freezing. You can get em @ any army surplus store.
    I dress in layers so if I get hot drop a layer keep hunting better to over dress and drop than not have it and freeze being force off the deer stand to soon.

5. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    that is what i have and they are very warm i love mine:wink:

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I wear some GI issue cold weather polyester long underwear, long sleeve t shirt, long sleeve shirt, some bargain cave bibs, and a 2 part coat, the outer is just a shell about 2 layers of cloth thick. I have a hat, insulated hat, stocking hat, and facemask, also a neck warmer, gloves and some rocky insulated boots. If not cold I just wear combat boots. If real cold and windy, then I also put my coveralls over all this. If its fairly warm I just take a hooded sweatshirt. Everything is orange except the long underwear and my jeans. I have a camel back or a couple canteens for water, or I can take bottles of water and crush em when empty and put em in my pack.

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    No matter what I get I will be layering. I start with under armour cold gear then a baggy layer of fleece then my outer layer. I have always wanted to try the "mickey mouse" boots in OD Green but couldnt find them in size 13...are tehy really that warm? My feet always get cold and uncomfortable even with boots from cabelas with 2000 gr thinsulate and wearing wicking socks...arrrggghh.:angry: Anything under 32 degrees it will always be my feet that is the weakest link.

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    If I'm gonna hunt when it's REALLY cold, I put on silk longhandles, fleece midlayers, and Pendleton wool camo on top of everything. Wool socks, nice warm boots, and a Filson wool lined hat top everything off.

I always find it amusing that after all these years, companies are still trying to mimic the qualities of wool. The stuff blocks the wind, keeps you warm even while wet, and wicks moisture away from your skin. Why improve on that? Oh yeah, it's heavy..... but it works so I can live with the weight.:wink:

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I dont hunt but i ice fish and fish the reiver in the dead of winter...i wear a Carhartt serpa insulated heavy coat and a heavy hoodie under it and my Carhartt flannel insulated Bibs and my Carhartt insulated Boots and a pair of redhead heavy wool socks...the ones that are $10 a air but the are gaurenteed for like 4 years and i have not had a probleme with them yet and when the cgo to crap no matter how long you haave had them you can send them to bass pro and they will send you another pair at no cost...i live like 3 min from a basspro so i dont have to send them ion but yea...i have a carhartt stocking cap i bought for like 8 bucks and i love it is is kinda itchey for the first few times then i wear it all th time now it is comfortable and warm!!!

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    One thing I have learned is do not buy white thermal tops. I use camo long sleved T- shirts instead with a short sleved camo T-shirt on top of the long sleved T. I can stand for my lower half to be to warm but not my upper body.
    We might have a 40 degree swing in temp. on some days. It might be 15
    at dawn and warm to over 55 in the middle of the day. In very cold weather
    (for us) I start with a camo long sleve, then a short camo T, then long
    sleved camo shirt or camo hoodie , camo bibs, camo insulated bibs and
    last is a heavy camo coat. I shed layers during the day as the temp. gos
    up and never loose my camo.

11. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    OLD SCOOL !!:wink:

12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    long pants long sleeve t shirt,:big_smile::big_smile: JUST KIDDING

13. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I wear layers of polar tec stuff from Cabela's. When it gets cold in January I throw on some added Cabela's fleece tops and bottoms with a wind shear lining, my Rocky pac boots and merino (sp?) wool socks. I only wish I had found this polar tec stuff years ago....it works that well for me. I stay clear away from anything cotton. The polar tec stuff wisk sweat away and keeps you skin dry. Worth it's weight in gold in my book!

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

I'm glad its not just me. I put on thin polyprop. socks then thick wool ones, then they go in my 600gr thinsulate boots, and my feet still get cold. One of these days i'm gonna buy some of those warmers that stick to your socks @ the toe and try them.

15. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    The chemical warmers do work, it's just that you need an air supply to activate them. This means that inside your boot there must adequate space to move your toes around and allow the warmer to get some air to get warm, when I use them I just put one pair of socks on and wear my largest boot giving my toes and the warmer "airspace". Hope this helps!

On a secondary note, I have decided to return the ArcticShield H3 clothing I bought from bass pro, the reason being that I wore them on a blustery 40 degree morning in the deerstand and was not toasty. I started out dressing in layers per the instructions and since it was only going to be 40 deg. I wore my under armour cold gear shirt and a fleece pullover and a pair of khaki's for pants underneath the bibs and coat and a full face mask head gear. Although I wasnt terribly uncomfortable I still got some "goose bump" shakes a few times and definately felt the cold throgh the bibs where the material stretched over my knees and thighs while sitting. To be perfectly honest I could have layered more and probably been very warm but since it was only 40 degrees and the manufacturer stated that this gear would keep you warm below freezing, I wanted to test out their claims. I would recommend this gear for fall weather and anything above freezing but sincee I was looking for late winter cold weather gear this set of hunting clothes are going back.:sad2:

Hope this helps someone
    Bill

16. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We swear by the Toasty Toes warmers. They are designed to work in low oxygen and have a adhesive back. I wear standard "street socks" in Rocky Paratrooper boots with a warmer under each foot at the toes. Im diabetic so my feet are the first to go and this combo works so well I quit wearing/using/buying the insulated socks etc. I put the warmers in right before we leave the house. I throw them away in the evening after we're home and they're still pretty warm. I buy them by the case at Wally's every spring when they get clearenced out. I layer all my hunting clothes and carry a spare small blanket and coat in my pack plus 3 or 4 more handwarmers. I walk in with my clothes partialy open and wait till I get chilled in the blind or on stand to seal/zip everything up. Worst thing you can do is walk in all zipped/sealed up and get sweaty. I wear jersey gloves going in and keep a hand muff with a disposable heat pack in it strapped to my thigh for my hands as I dont care for shooting with gloves. The muff slides right off when its attached to my thigh and I can grab my bow or gun easily. If I feel like Im getting too warm on the hike in I stop for a breather, thats why I like to be early. Sometimes Im on stand or in a blind two hours before shooting light.