war with a bridger 1 1/2 coil

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by williambevels, Jun 24, 2008.

1. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    guys and ladys this tells me a lot about how the bridger 1 1/2 coil is built.
    It was caught in a regular jaw stocked trap.there was no damage to the trap.
    I caught it in a flat set for greyfox ona lure i make.

[​IMG]

hope you injoy.the biggest I have caught in alabama and the biggest period.
    This season i plan to workto beat that one

2. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    very nice. i got some stock 1.75 bridgers i took yotes in this past season without damage

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

bridgers are pretty well built traps i own a ton of #3's never had much of a problem with them once they get tuned up

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i bought 6 #2's at the end of the season last year i did them up with extra swivels i have them died and waxed and am anxiously waiting for the fur to set.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i also built me a skinning machine with a cheap electric winch from harbor what ya call it. i an ready for coyotes and we got a lot of em although i only got 8 bucks for em this year.

6. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    I know the feeling.been busy putting up lures and baits and thats not counting making test sets and teaching my trapping classes at school.
    I plan on hitting coon and bobcats hard this season.the coyotes i don't set for but if he's there he's skinned.I caught a lot of coyotes this pass season in blocked sets for cats.here we can't give them away.but the way i see it maybe i can get the grey fox back

7. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    I am lucky I set steel and my wife skins.
    running 150 traps a day climbing steap ridges takes a lot out of you.
    I am out all day and shes up all night..lol
    but she likes it and i will not complain.

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    we have quite a few gray fox. i scronged up 11 grays this year.they were still cheap avg. 22 bucks . my goal for this comeing season is 100 coons. i do however have a couple of pretty nice black and tans that will assist me in this endeavor. i need to get my 120 boxes to be more productive.i had 20 boxes out and only caught 3 grinners and a house cat for my efforts

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    needless to say you've got your self a keeper there William. i work then go run traps , skin em my self and try to get a nap so i can go work some more. my better half ain't skinnin nothin. i am just glad she doesn't complain about me being gone during fur season.by the way welcome to the BOC

10. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks
    do you make your 120 boxes or use the news paper boxes?
    coon's sold out at most of the auctions and the are saying they will start out high.and exspecting to drop middle of season.but who knows.
    cats,beaver and greys will have a stroung demand also.
    I have TON of federal land that I am the only one that traps or thats what the warden said.I hope the thieves back off this year .lost 60 traps third day of season.

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i make my 120 boxes out of plywood. the design is good and the sets seem good i am changeing up the bait this year. last year i used mackrel and sardines mixed together. i am now in the process of making fish oil . i have high hopes for the fish oil.

12. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks
    i make a lot of fish oil out of fresh shad.
    by filling a qt jar full of shad,then adding a cup of salt to it .the oil will be golden in color and a slight sweet smell but not loud,helps to prevent possum catches.by doing this i get aprox half of qt of fish oil.after i drain the oil off i have the rest for bait,you don't waste any thing.

heres what i use for coon bait ,but use caution because bobcats love it to.
    my buddy in missouri tested a cat lure and these two baits on it and he done very well with it

bait formula 1
    two cans of mackeral
    4 oz of liquid smoke
    6 oz fish oil

bait formula 2
    two cans of mackeral
    1/2 oz of liquid smoke
    1 oz of ground ground cinnamon

note
    greys will work these heavy as well.
    the liquid smoke gives the fish a burned flesh smell

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

next year wont be any better for them i plan on letting them all walk and just worry about coons and cats

14. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    if i catch him i skin.i want my grey fox population to grow back to the point it was a few years ago.as for cats my trapping grounds are thick with cats and coons,thats my tartgets for this up coming season.

15. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC William and thanks for sharing information with us. Good luck next season to everyone.

16. stevev

stevev New Member

State:
    kansas
    I use 1.65 four coiled for coyotes and 5 lons spring for beaver I think that they are as good as it gets.

17. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    steve welcome to the BOC. i am dry land trapping here in the ozarks. when i lived in oklahoma i loved those big coniebear traps for beaver. i think beaver is the easiest critters i ever trapped. dry land trapping up and down the hills and across the hollers is not the easiest thing a man can do but i love to trap.

18. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    William,

Welcome to the BOC from So. Alabama