War Eagle Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by NCCatter, Apr 20, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anyone has ever owned or known anyone who has owned a War Eagle jon boat. I am considering getting a 17' because my 14' simply does not have the room I would like any more. I can't fish 3 people in my boat currently. Also it has the "seat hump" in the middle and for one person, that is a bother. You have to step over that hump to anchor and to operate the trolling motor every time. Here is a link to the boat I want. Just seeing if anyone has any knowledge about them. Thanks!!

http://www.wareagleboats.com/boats/detail.asp?id=6&catID=1

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I believe Shilored has one, maybe he'll see this. Or look him up in the Members List and send him a message.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have the 17ft boat Mine had the pod seats. It's the LDV and has a seat base between the back pods. I like it.
    Ride is so much better than a Jon boat. Mine also has the diamond plate floor and 6ft gun box. so I have storage and extra seating on the side.
    I have a 25 HP Yamaha 4-stroke on it. And it sure would be better to have the 40 or 50 hp on it. but i fish the boils at Pickwick dam with it. And like the way the 25 hp allows me to drift back with the current while fishing with the big motor.

Now If i had to buy again and had not had the 25 hp motor that was only 2 years old. I would have went with a 1860 with a 50 hp motor.
    I priced mine to a guy last week. and sure was glad he could not come up with the cash. But if he does I guess I will have the 1860 next.. I would have had the 1860 war-eagle or the 1860 Sea-Ark with the 15 degree hull.
    Any questions just ask, And if your close or coming by let me know and we will go out and fish in it.
    Also talk with Bam he has fished out of it and ran it. Nice boat.
    If you would like to see a picture or three of it let me know.
    Pete

4. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I don't have one (I have a Fisher 1754) , but I have researched them quite a bit and can say with 99% certainty that my next boat (when I decide/afford to upgrade) that it will be a Wareagle.

Their boats are awesome and can be basically custom built for you as you want it. You can even get a tour of the factory to decide your custom options, but it must be ordered as such through a dealer.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I can attest to the fact that Pete is saying here about his boat.
    I fished for a couple hours with him in the boils and was real surprised at the smoothness of the boat. The ease he handled it in the water with all the other traffic that was in there with us and he said it was a quiet day.
    One guy took off with one of those big hoss motors and I braced myself for the wake and I didn't much more then feel it.
    That one he has will be my style of boat to get in the near or not to distance future.

Heres to yea pete on that boat.:thumbsup:

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't have one BUT, I WANT ONE:crying: :crying:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Also the boat is 17'6" long.
    And they will build it about any way you can think of.
    Also as Bubbacat stated it will surprise you on the ride for a average size boat.
    Pete

8. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a buddy that has one. Pretty nice boat. They are considered pricey by some but I think they would be worth it if they have a model that suits your needs. They are tough boats and I would recommend one from what I have seen and heard about them! They are definately not shy on quality!

9. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have a 16 foot wareagle with a 30hp merc and I look forward to geting in it every chance I get.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If you price the boats with the same stuff there the same price, When we were looking at the 20ft boats. Our War-Eagle hull was $200 less then an express same thing just the hull. But with all the stuff you can get on a war-eagle that is where the price jumps.
    You pay to get it like you won't the boat. Not like the company does.
    You are right they are a nice tough boat.
    What sold me the most when we bought both of ours the 2072-SLDV and the 175=LDV was the 12 degree hull over most of the others having only a 6 degree hull.
    but not Sea-Ark has the 15 Degree hull so that will make for a better ride.

11. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How would the ride differ between side console and center console? Or would it make a difference? Also ShilohRed, the brochure says that with a 17' the hp ratings are 50-75-90. Does this mean that mimimum recommended hp is 50, while max is 90? I agree with everyone that the War Eagle is pricy but it can be built to your specifications, which makes it seem worthwhile. Thanks for your input.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Would not even think about a center console in the 17ft boat. Not enough room.
    As for Hp, I was talking about with a tiller motor. Now with War-Eagle it depends on how the boat is built as to what motor it will handle.
    If you get the full floor and sides, And console its rated for 90 hp. Theres a guy here that has one and it has a 90 hp on it.
    Now if you get the same boat without the factory floor and side walls. The rating will not be as high.
    Now drop to tiller motor and it drops to 50 hp. but will run great with floor and 50 tiller.
    So as you can see it depends on how you spec the boat out as to the size motor it will handle.
    Now with 90 Hp expect this boat to scoot.

Also when I bought mine it was a left over boat. And got a great price on it. so deals can be found. but mine with the pods a lot of people would not be looking for a boat like it. but it was what I was looking for.
    Pete

13. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Hey Pete, do you have a couple of pics of your boat? I'm not sure what you mean by 'pods'.

14. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
  15. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Cool. That's one thing that was missing in my Xpress: dry storage. I converted my livewell into dry storage and also added a hatch cover to the deck. I had to remove some of the foam under the deck but can now store light objects such as rope, life jackets, MREs, water bottles, etc. under the deck.

16. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    My friend has a 2003 860 center console war eagle and its went back to the factory twice for rivets falling out and welds put in because when they built his boat they didnt weld a lot of things in it. When he got it back from them the first time, there were already rivets on the deck from where they fell out on the trip back to N.C. and when they painted the boat they only used one coat of paint and it chipped off the first week. Also when he got it back the battery was out of it, and it was in it when it went there. IMHO their service is sub-par. Now they have started welding them so I dont know how the new ones are holding up. After I saw how his boat was I went and Bought a brand new Triton duck boat and havent had one problem with it yet. Has almost 100hrs on it also.

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Joe the pods are not storage. There seats on each side of the boat in back. And there space between them down the middle is open.

http://www.unioncitymarine.com/images/MVC-871F1.jpg This is not mine. But is just like it. I have lost the pictures of mine. And have the pod seats out. Sure opened the back of the boat up doing that. And all that I had to do was unscrew the screws and take them out.

Also sure glad I got lucky 2 times with the 2072-LDSV and the 175 above. AS I have not found anything wrong with them. And have no dought theres bad ones in every boat made. but man you always hear the bad about them and never the bad .
    Sure would not have 2 of there boats if they were not good boats to me.
    Pete

18. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I thought the pods were storage. Sorry about that Joe! I guess what I was thinking was a pod was actually a dry storage box.

19. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I love those things for aluminum, personally i'm a seaark fan but i would in no way ever ever ever never turn down a war eagle boat. as stated, they are tough little boat with a nice ride.