Wapsi Update

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by kevin-m, Sep 3, 2009.

1. kevin-m

kevin-m New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The river near Olin has finally gone down after last weeks rains. Many of the log piles have changed, some washed away and others now have more debris. Boaters need to be careful due to new underwater hazards. Smaller cat are very aggressive right now. Larger ones are still finicky. Shad guts and Leopard Frogs are working pretty well. Guts are kinda hard to find, and if you use the frogs, slit open the bellies a little--has been helpful.

2. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kevin,

I just started to fish the Wapsi around Anamosa. Are there many flatheads around this area of the wapsi, or is it all channels?

3. kevin-m

kevin-m New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't get to the Anamosa area very often, but I am told flatheads can be found feeding just above the dam area at night. Good luck and let me know how that works out. You may want to stop in to the bait shop in Anamosa. It's a small place right on the corner of the big curve as you head in towards the main part of town just up from the river. He seems to know the area pretty good.

4. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hmmm...really? I have never really thought of fishing above the dam. I'll let you know how i do.