Wants vs. needs

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think I need to change my middle name to "I need". See, the third and fourth word of the first sentence was "I need'. :smile2: Seriously, it seems that my "needs" are always interfering with my "wants". Well, I "wanted" a bigger net, but I "needed" to buy an anchor that I lost Saturday. You see, wants are NOT necessities, yet needs ARE. Every time I get to wanting something, a need will always rear it's ugly head. I want another rod to replace the one that got snatched out of my boat the other night, but I NEED a bait tank net that blew out of my boat on the way to the river Monday night. Hard to catch bait by hand in the tank! :wink: I traveled with that bait net for two years with it in the same spot and it never blew out before. Sigh.. I could go on and on about things I want vs. things I need. Bottom line is, take extra care to make sure your necessities/needs stay put, so they don't interfere with your wants. I want, I want, I want, yet due to negligence or unforeseen occurrences, I always seem to be in need of something. I WANT to mount my trolling motor back on my boat, but I NEED a battery to operate it. I want to go fishin' NOW, but I NEED fuel money!!!!!!!!!!!! I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. :smile2:

Bill in SC

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Bill you NEED a sugar momma!!:smile2:

3. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill, I know exactly how you feel. I had saved for a sonar unit since spring, finally got enough. I put the money in the bank to place my order and my wife said the insurance on one of vechiles is expired. I want a sonar, I need insurance. Well I gave her the money and now have insurance. When payday gets here, I getting the sonar before she has a chance to inform me of any other "needs".

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Brings to mind that story about the man who was unhappy because he couldn't afford to buy some new shoes, until he saw a man that didn't have any feet.....:wink:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, anyone who knows me will tell you I am always as happy as a lark, regardless of my financial status. I agree with you, I have NO reason to complain as I am truly blessed. I was just making a wants versus needs comparison. Some things ya GOTTA have to fish properly, some things ya don't. You can't bring a knife to a gunfight unless you want to lose, and losing is not in my vocabulary. :wink::smile2::wink:

BB in SC

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I thought I wanted a Lowrance HDS 10 and the soon to be released structure-scan module to replace my 1197 Humminbird........

But then I realized I NEEDED the Lowrance HDS 10 and structure scan module.:smile2:

Not quite sure I know how to play this game.:roll_eyes:

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Bill i,m with you on this one ,it seems you get a dollar or two put away to buy a toy with ,an darn if something don,t break or quit working that cost 2.50 to fix or buy another :wink::smile2:

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Bill, I know that you're a good sport and I wuz just pokin a little fun :smile2:

9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hear ya on the want need ratio. When I want to go fishing I have to work. When I am sitting in the treestand in November I can hear stripers jumping in the river behind and I want to go fishing.:big_smile: Then by the end of the day I NEED a beer

10. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Kinda like my predicament... I want to get a new reel to replace the garbage that was ruined by a big fish Friday night , but the brakes on my car need to be fixed. I also wanted to go to Tillery this weekend , but I need to buy groceries. Well , there's a light at the end of this tunnel...
    It turns out the part I need which would cost me $120 is under warranty:wink: , so now I can at least purchase the reel and some skipjack for use this weekend and enough groceries to last a month. Now it's just a matter of the gravity of the need that will undoubtedly arise. Hopefully it won't be too bad , because I am going through 'withdrawal' from those lakes , especially Badin , and I need my 'cat fix' :embarassed:!!!

11. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Tell me about it! :crazy: I WANT my boat to be finished... I WANT to buy a bunch of Power Pro (Bill's fault!).... I WANT to buy a couple more outfits for WHEN I get my boat back... I have two blackpowder rifles that I WANT to buy scopes for...

So far this year, I have NEEDED to replace a bunch of stuff on my work truck: brakes ($1000), tires ($1000), oil cooler lines ($500), transmission cooler lines ($500), power steering lines ($400).. :sad2:

And I have NEEDED to replace stuff on my old 4x4: brake booster, master cylinder, tires, water pump, power steering pump, tune-up, belts and pulleys, (about $1000 worth).

And I have NEEDED to put tires on my wife's van ($550). :sad2:

I NEEDED to go fish with Bill for a couple of days to keep my sanity! :smile2::cool2:

So you can see why the boat is still sitting at the shop 90 miles away waiting for me to pay for my motor. :sad2:

Business has been slow and my NEEDS are costing too much for me to worry about my WANTS right now. And that SUCKS!

But, a big BUT, with all of the people struggling with work/no work, I know that there are a lot of people who would give anything to be in my situation, so I am VERY thankful for what I do have. :wink:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I know that there are a lot of people who would give anything to be in my situation, so I am VERY thankful for what I do have.>

ABSOLUTELY and amen!

Bill in SC

13. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Bill,

You could be in COLORADO wanting some SC Catfish, but NEEDING to work...LOL. They got to many trout out here and haven't seen one yet that as big as a blue or flathead...LOL

14. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I think I have it.....I need to get off of work cause I want to go fishing!
    I have read a lot of your post Bill and I can tell you are thankful for what you have. Thanks for being a part of the BPC and heloing us new guys out!

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I got 90% of my info here on the BOC from it's most generous members. MANY folks know a LOT more about it than me. I just post a lot. :smile2:

Bill in SC

16. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    We all want stuff and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem arises when we turn wants into needs to satisfy ourselves. I was thinking as I read this post that the one thing I most definantly need is Salvation and the best part is.....it's free!!:big_smile:

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I wonder how trout would work as cut bait? HA HA. Ship some to Bill so we can see if the flatties will hit cut trout heads. :smile2:

(I don't know, can you use trout as bait at all? Anywhere?):confused2:

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Truer words never spoken!!

Bil in SC

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....I WANT to mount my trolling motor back on my boat, but I NEED a battery to operate it. I want to go fishin' NOW, but I NEED fuel money!!!!!!!!!!!!...."

Stop buying braid and start using mono and you will have the money for gas :smile2:

Mono has put over 1,000 fish in my boat so far this year, and the gas tank on the boat stays full. :wink:

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! I only have to buy braid about once every three years. LOL! Actually, I can do a decent trip with 3 gallons in my J-16 skiff, but it's been too hot to go in the daytime, and the skiff doesn't have the LED nite lights that I have been spoiled by with the Blunt. We're OK, Dieter, I was just ramblin'. :wink:

BB in SC