Wanting to snag some asian carp... Chain of Rocks or Alton from the bank?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Alton Dam from the Missouri side or Chain of Rocks from the Illinois side? I'm just curious because I'm thinking about going down there and trying to snag a few of them next weekend because it's going to be too warm to feel like bow hunting.

I know the asians were pretty thick at Chain of Rocks this year, but Ravenloft had good luck up at Alton Dam from the bank also. Which would you locals suggest?

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You might want to check with the legality of snagging this time of year. Asians or not, it's still out of season.

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO

I just double checked the MDC fishing regulations and it states:

Mississippi River, including pools 20-26
    Paddlefish - The open season is March 15 through May 15 and Sept.15 - Dec. 15.
    Nongame fish - The daily possession limit is 100 in the aggregate except that bighead, common carp, goldfish, grass carp, and silver carp may be taken and possessed in any number. Snagging, snaring, and grabbing are allowed from March 15 through May 15 and from Sept. 15 through Dec. 15.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Wow, I didnt realize there was a Sept to Dec snagging season!!! Kutter, do you have a rebuttal? :big_smile: Is this something new this year?

Thanks for the info Seth.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You'll have to excuse Kutter for his faux pas. He doesn't normally venture out of his cave this time of year (or so I'm told).:roll_eyes:

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yep, below 70 and Kutter is hibernating. :wink: And he is usually our GO TO man for Missouri Rules and Regulations. He has the Missouri Code book next to his night stand in the cave I believe.

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    It's no biggy, heck I didn't find out that there was a fall snagging season on the Mississippi till recently. Soooo..... about them nasty ol carp. :wink:.

Do they still school up behind the damns when the temperatures are warmer like they are now? I read that they are more schooled up when the water cools down.

I've got a 10 foot casting rod that needs something big to pull back on it. I figure since I can't catch any catfish big enough to do the job, an old carp will have to do. :tounge_out:

8. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    HEY SETH I WOULDNT DRIVE ALLNTHE WAY UP THERE WHEN YOUHAVE A GOOD AISIAN CARP SNAGGING HOLE IN YOUR BACK YARD. I WAS UP AT BONNETS MILL SUNDAY AND ME AND MY BUDDY SNAGGED 24 IN A ABOUT 6 HRS TIME.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Nope, nothing new. I think we talked about it quite a bit last fall as well... I know I bought several huge snagging-type trebel hooks that I was going to try to use on those asian bastards, but never got around to doing it. Once the water cooled off, the cats weren't biting on carp anyway.

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO

Well that sounds good too. For some reason, I was thinking that you could only snag on the Mississippi in the fall of the year in Missouri lol. I might have to run up that way this weekend and do some snagging and some gigging if I get my gigging lights setup on my boat. :roll_eyes:

Were you snagging around the mouth of the river?

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I was below the dam at Alton yesterday. If you can walk around the little pool of water at the ramp, go down that stretch or rock bank. I had bunches of them jumping out of the water when I motored through there to look for bait. By the way, IF you arent familiar with the use of that ramp, it looked to me like if the river fell today, you would not be able to launch from that ramp. I could be wrong. If so please let me know cause I want to fish Thursday and Friday.

12. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I was out on the river today above the alton dam. Just below the Clark bridge on the missouri side I found a whole mess of LARGE ones. Usually when I motor through them most of them jumping out of the water are 12 to 16 inches. With a few larges ones jumping. In this spot, they were mostly 20" and up. I was almost scared. :crazy: I think these suckers could have knocked you out. There were at least 20 large ones in the air at once. Heres a picture of one of them that jumped in. The pan I have him in measures 18".

Attached Files:

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    My mistake, I stand corrected and am truly sorry.
    Nope, just holding my head down.
    Personally, I thought the river would have been froze over by now.
    Never, ever, listen to me. See what trouble that could get ya into?
    Also, I must correct your slight error, Cuz. It's on the shelf next to my computer and also a copy within reach of the spa. Cave living is soooo primitive!

14. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    I WAS UP THE MO ABOUT A MILE OR SO. THERE IS A DIKE THAT RUNS OUT IN RIVER AND ONE THAT RUNS WITH RIVER . THEY WERE STACKED UP IN BEHIND THE TWO DIKES IN THE SLACK WATER .

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    i dont have a code book handy with me so I'll just toss the dumb question out there. Since there is a fall snagging season, can you snag for spoonbill this time of year? Mike called me the other day and had a spoonbill he caught, and I told him I thought they had to be released. Hope I didnt give him bad advice.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Don't worry, it's CodeMan to the rescue...:roll_eyes:

From http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3c10-6.pdf

(it goes on to list length restrictions, etc.)

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oopsie woopsie,

Looks like Cuz owes Mike a Spoonbill.:tounge_out:

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    No, no, no! Your forgetting the interest. Looks like Mike gets a guided trip to the catfish hole of a lifetime.

19. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    No, he was right...The extended season is only on the Mississippi. I wasn't on the Miss. I was on a local lake in Valley Park with the kids. It was my 13 year old daughter that caught the thing and if it wasn't for my girlfriend grabbing the pole it probably would pulled her out of the boat or I would of lost a rod....lol. First time I've ever seen one other than in pictures, they sure are ugly suckers.

20. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    And now you know the REST of the story...........:smile2: