Wanting to sign up for the miltary again

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gargoil77, Mar 4, 2008.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I'm 42 yrs old and thinking about signing up for the military again. I did 4yrs 9mths back in the 80's. I heard that I can sign up again and keep my rank and not have to go thru basic again. Is that true? I can't handle basic training (to old). i was in the Army and thought about going into the Air Force. My son-in-law is in the AF and he told me that I don't have to go thru basic. Can an old, fat ugly guy guy go back in?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Thank You VERY much for your service to our great country.

OPINION:

I right now can not advise you what to do but remember that the Clintons are know for having our Servicemen wait tables @ the White House. That and "WHO'S SANE" could be even worse.

From my family, THANKS AGAIN

:worship::worship::worship:

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio

OUR SEVIVEMEN SHOULD BE SETTING AT THE WHITE HOUSE TABLES BEING WAITED ON!!!!!!!!!

:wink:

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am not sure what they do for prior service these days. I know when I was in basic training we had a couple prior service guys and I think they stayed like 2 weeks, took a test and were done. But that was 21 years ago...they may have a different deal now...good luck if ya do. Don't think I could do it again with my back..:confused2:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The way it worked when I was on recruiting duty many, many, many long years ago, was a person could enlist in the army at age 18 thru age 35. The reason the age limit was 35 is because as an enlisted member, you were barred from serving past your 55th birthday. So, if you enlisted at age 35 and served 20 years, you would hit the magic 55 number. BUT if you had prior service, the years of prior service could be added to the number 35 to determine if you could re-enlist. Lets say you had 5 years of service then got out. You wanted to come back in, you could do so until you reached age 41. At that point you couldn't serve. I have heard the Army may have raised the initial age lime to 42, saying you could serve 20 years and retire at age 62. But this is something you need to ask a recruiter about. Let you finger do the walking through the yellow pages and call the Air Force, Army, Marine and Naval recruiters. Of course, being ex-army, I'm convinced thats the better branch to serve in.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Go for it, go call a recruiter and get the scoop. Different branches may have different requirements and options. May get your old job, may get retrained. Pay is getting better too, but the retirement is not what it used to be.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Guys get out and come back in all the time for various reasons. In the Corps I have not seen anyone have to go through boot camp again. It all comes down to whatever the recruiter can work out for ya. Good luck!

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If you were Army/Marine and went to another branch i.e. Navy/Air Force then you didnt have to go thru boot at least thats how it used to be. The last time he was active was in the 80's so he may have to do it again at least a part of it.

Navy has NAVET I dont know what the other branches have but its mainly to get you reaffiliated with the chain of command structure.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I appreciate your willingness to serve weather they let ya in or not. Thank you for the time you spent already.

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Check your reenlistment code as well. I'm assuming you got out on an honorable so it shouldn't be a big deal. We had some guys that were in their mid-30's when I was in Marine boot camp. Could be kind of tough getting used to military discipline again after 20 years, though:smile2: Good luck with it and thanks for serving,

Branden