Wanting to share some news!

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Fisher14, May 22, 2006.

1. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    I had originally planned to go camping on the Congaree this weekend, but the trip was postponed til this coming weekend. My dad and I decided to go fish a pond of a friend from work. I had always heard that he had some huge cats in this pond, and my friend told me that he knew that there were a couple of blues that were pushing 30-35 lbs. I was kind of skeptical of this since it was a only a pond and not that big of pond, at that. I also new that he feeds the fish daily, so getting them to bite a traditional bait may be hit or miss. We have been mainly gill fishing lately since they were on the bed last weekend, so we began fishing for bream. My dad caught the first bream and it was a descent size. After a few unsuccessful attempts by me, I grew tired of cork fishing and decided to throw a Carolina rig on my rod. We fished with nightcrawlers and cut gill at first, but no luck. Another buddy that had fished this pond before told me that he had caught a descent size cat off of a hotdog weiner. I took a couple of weiners with me just in case. With no luck on the first choices of baits, I stuck a piece of hotdog on my hook and casted back out. Withing minutes, I landed my biggest cat yet. It was a 15 lb blue. My friend that owned the pond told us that we could keep 2 large cats apiece, but we released them because we found it more fun just to catch them. It was 10 minutes later, my dad stuck a piece of hotdog on his hook and he landed a 20 lb blue, as well. It was my dad's largest cat on rod and reel, also. I just wanted to share this story with all you cat lovers out there! The only thing I regret is that we didn't have a camera with us!! :big_smile: Happy fishing!!

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Sounds like you had a great fishing weekend too! Glad to hear that you had some luck, can't wait to hook one that size myself. Just goes to show, you have to get a line wet to catch fish.

Good job, and thanks for sharing the story.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Way to go, Casey! Glad that you had a good time and caught some nice fish :big_smile:

4. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks guys! It's always exciting to feel something that big on the end of your line!

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good story Casey. Disposable cameras are cheap! LOL! Lesson learned? LOL!

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats, like Big George said. Always nice to have a disposable in the tackle box.

7. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Most definately lesson learned! LOL :big_smile: