Wanting to learn Duck Hunting

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by FishMan, Nov 1, 2005.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Is duck hunting something I can learn on my own ? I have a feeling there is more to it than riding around in a boat looking for a duck to shoot. I am 52 and have hunted for many years but as you can see, I know nothing about waterfowl hunting. I live on the cumberland river near the Tennessee, Kentucky, state line. Any advise would be helpful.

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    The best thing you can do is find an experienced duckhunter in your neck of the woods. Do a search for "refuge forums", lot's of info(maybe too much for a newbie).

3. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    I have duck hunted for several years and the first time I went I had gone out the night before and bought a cheap call with an instructional tape and a half a dozen magnum water keel decoys and we had ducks in the decoys all day long we were instantly addicted but we also got to hunt a 35 acre lake which had never been hunted.
    I think alot depends on if you are hunting public or private land if you are hunting private land you can learn alot by trial and error but if you are hunting public unless you are the only one there you really don't know if it is you making mistakes by calling bad or at the wrong time or if it is the clown next to you so if you are just starting out on public land try to hook up with some one who has hunted alot . If you do not have luck finding an experienced partner do alot of scouting and find the hole where the ducks are working then be the first one out and do whatever it takes to get to where the ducks were working the day before because if the weather is similar chances are they will work that same hole again.When you get to the hole try to set your self or your blind with the wind to your back because ducks land into the wind and that gives you a good head on shot if you do not have cover to do that then set up with a cross wind but try not to put the wind to your face that does not make for good shooting.Place your decoys out away from you with only 1 or 2 close to you that way there is ducks where the call is coming from if the ducks land out from you move your decoys out more making a better hole for the ducks to land in but if they are landing in the hole you have left and they are still out of range move the decoys in a little to pull them into range.
    I used to hunt over 8- 10 dozen decoys but I have found that I can kill as many ducks and work alot less hunting over 2-4 dozen decoys.With a little practice on a call you can learn a basic Quack and a lonesome hen call and with these 2 calls you can kill ducks as you learn more you can add more calls in but I feel often times these other calls can hurt more than help you because it is easy to call with the wrong call at the wrong time and flare ducks.When calling ducks as a general rule call at the wing tips and tail never at the head in other words never call when you have a duck flying straight at you you will learn when this rule can be overlooked but it is a good rule of thumb 99.9% of the time.
    There are alot of other things to know but you can kill ducks with the basics. The only other thing I have to say is don't start hunting waterfowl unless you want to get addicted and go broke supporting your habit and be sure to learn your birds because you are dealing with Federal laws as well as state laws .(P.M. me if you want to and we can try to schedule a hunt in MO if your schedule allows and you are up to a little trip )

4. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i agree with center.find yourself an experianced duck hunter and just pick his brain or even ask for him to take you along for a hunt.id say duck hunting is one of the hardest things to learn on your own. good luck

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Anybody can jump shoot birds. It takes no more than having access to a place that can be sneaked up on, a mode to retrieve your dead birds (Sometimes a fishing rod will work), and the proper licenses and stamps, and of course a plugged gun loaded with non toxic shot. (And no...non toxic shot does not refer to your shooting ability...lol) As far as more advanced methods like decoying and calling. It can take years to become effective...and many years to become consistently proficient. Blind making, decoy arrangment, calling, and dog training can be taken to a scientific art form. I've duck hunted rivers, sloughs, and potholes since I was 8 years old. My cousins and I learned together how to be successful. I bought an instructional duck calling tape, a call, and Ducks unlimiteds 101 duck hunting tips .(Available in DU magazine...this is a very valuable resource if you're new to duck hunting) Just practice and practice and practice...and when you're burnt out...practice some more. It'll take at least that much effort. I'm 36 now...and I still learn new things every time I go out. There's nothing like being schooled by an animal with the brain the size of a peanut. Duck hunters are traditionally the most miserable hunters in the field. Who else goes out in -30 wind chill and, belly crawls through a hundred yards of ankle deep water along with your dog...who routinely looks at you like you're an idiot, or sits all day long in a cold wind blown duck blind in a driving sleet storm for 10 hours and sees absolutely nothing? But then again...raise your hand if you'd rather be at work.

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    That would...I suppose...be...ice rather than water. Lol. :D

7. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    My advise to wanting to learn duck hunting. Don't

Too much work in too bad of weather. Go shoot something else!

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I must respectfully disagree...I've always traditionally had my absolute best luck when it's raining, sleeting, snowing, or even better...extremely foggy. The inclement weather forces the birds down...and they're more likely to come right in without even so much as circling. On days like those my calling makes me proud...it's much easier than a blue bird day. Blue bird days are made for duck traveling...they usually just keep right on a goin'...except at dusk and dawn when they roost. I'd say if you're not having luck in bad weather...find a more productive spot.

9. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Its not that I didn't have luck when I duck hunted, it was that it was always too much work in crappy weather. I'd much rather go Dove, Pheasant, or quial hunting. Its just much easier

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can't thank you all enough for the information. Once again I have proved I don't know everything I thought I knew.

I like and miss hunting, the reason I ask about learning duck hunting is because I have a boat and I thought that sitting in a boat was the biggest part of it. I see now that I should have included in my post that I can't walk but a short distance , Like to the car , more that that I must use crutches or a wheelchair.

After reading all the advice it seems to me like I may have to limit myself to a guided type hunt where my bigest problem would be getting myself there.

I have never hunted anything anything except deer, squirrel and a few rabbit
    but I miss hunting and am willing to do any kind that I can.

Maybe a better questions is does any of you know of setups that would be friendly for a somewhat disabled guy to get into.

I have even wondered if shooting clays would be something I could get into.

Thanks again for all the replies and if you have any futher ideas please let me know. The replies from my first queston has really helped me so far has to some things I can't do and it is important for me to rule these things out to get to the things I can do.

I am not one of these guys that say things like,( Just because I have a disabilty doesn't mean that I can't do everything you can. ) That cracks me up everytime I here someone say it because disabilty means just that. What I will say is I know I can still have fun and enjoyment of life I just have to adjust how to. Thanks in advance for any ideas Oh I already fish.

Danny

11. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    you might find a expirienced goose hunter and hunt cornfields or hunt from one of the boat blinds

12. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    All duck hunting isnt wading. I have hunted out of a boat and killed many of ducks. Although not as many as i have wading! All you need is a dozen of decoys something warm to wear prefferly camoflauge and box of shells and some cold weather and some water. I have hunted off of lakes many of times does anyone agree?

13. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Yea i'm on the same page as quacks. It's hard but if can learn to call and get some decoys shells and a gun and a decent place to hunt you'll kill some and you'll learn somethin everytime. It'd help to read up on a little bit and try and learn something bout ducks. But then again you can't beat huntin with a seasoned veteran of the duck wars.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Now we are getting somewhere, I already have a boat and although it is set up for fishing it has a camo paint job and the inside is all camo. Like I said I don't know what I'm doing but maybe a couple dozen decoys and some warm camo clothing could get me started. Can you hunt out of a boat anywhere there is water and you can find duck or is there limits or off limit places I should ask. I keep my boat in the water year round, on the cumberland river.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

15. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    You should probaly look around on the river for spots without any current like up old ditches anything that is set off the river will be good you can should do as much lookin around as you can for ducks. When you find them look for an area to pull your boat into and hide because you can't sit in the open ducks have EXTREMELY good eyesight. If you can put all that together and get some decoys and some warm clothes and learn a few basic calls you will be in business. The only off-limits places are private lands but all waters that you can access from rivers are open for everybody that can get there. It shouldn't be too hard to find ducks to hunt once it gets cooler and they start headin down here.

16. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    dundee is right all you need to do is find a ditch off a river and you can buy or a make a pop-up blind, i would make one because theyre pretty exspensive and learning to call is not all that hard. all you need is a calling cassete which im sure primos or rich n tone makes a great one and your gonna wanna look through your local laws and regulations because theres a couple of rules your gonna wanna follow like steel shot not lead and the limits on ducks but its a fun and easy sport you should try. well good luck in the field this year and post for any more questions i could try my best to help you on

17. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    When the pressure gets high in the state, the ducks will move to open water. With the large amount of jump shooting, they will target the areas where they will feel safe. These will usually be in the middle of those hard to reach areas. But these are the roost areas, and to keep quality hunting for everyone, these areas need some rest. There’s only so much pressure they can receive before they will make their temporary home in Mississippi, never to return again that fall. So in studying the patterns of ducks in Mississippi, you have to understand all of the possibilities that are available to you. The easiest hunting situations lie miles away from the roosts.

18. flathead willy

flathead willy New Member

State:
    Madison, MS
    Fishman, Dundee and these guys know what they're talkin about. I have been Duck huting with Dundee several times and he knows what its all about. Your getting some of the best advice you can find