Wanting to know about 2 older reels my granny gave me

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Matt_Clouse, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Matt_Clouse

Matt_Clouse New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i love the zebco 888 so my granny gave me two of her old reels a zebco pro staff 888 dont know when it was made exactly but has to be over 5 years a t least but i think i seen them in my grannys garage when i was lil 19 my papa(burl shepherd some1 on here might know him he fished tennessee all the time and ky waters) fished with them and a dawia ma15g it says magforce and its baitcaster i was wanting to know if these are good fishing reels for slow current river fishing..

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If they end up being real old, put them up & go buy something new. You'll never repalce the memories when you look at those reels. it would be a shame to have something happen to them.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have some of those dawias. they may be okay for channel cats but anything else will put a whipping on them. i caught a 19lb blue on one mine years ago and i didnt think i would ever get that fish. i dont think the drags are very good and the thumb button will hang up on them also. its made for bass mainly.

4. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I hate to lose rep points by agreein with Mellon BUT he's right. if you can save the reels for the memories and get something new for fishing!

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I'm with Mellon on this. My family allways asks why I don't wear my great grandfather's watch that he left me. Well I don't think I could live with myself if anything happened to it, because of all the memories I have of him.

SudDawg

6. Matt_Clouse

Matt_Clouse New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ty guys i will take ur guys advice and go for the new 888 at paintsville super wal mart is it as good as the old ones

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I'm with you on this one Mellon, Great advice!!!

8. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Mellon nailed it. You can't beat those memories.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As far as I am concerned none of the spincast reels made nowadays is worth fishing with.

Years ago the 33 was a really nice reel that would take a beating and last forever (20+ years). The ones they made 5 years ago barely lasted a season for me.

10. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Heck yeah Taliesin. When I was a teenager, I was still using my father's older 33. That sucker was a tank, and besides the periodic cleaning, it never had any problems. My grandfather had an even older one, and is still using it. All the graphics have worn off of it, but you know it's a 33.

SudDawg

11. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've got one of these reels and use it every weekend. I bought it over 20 years ago and it's still working great. I've never had a problem with it. I have it on a 6 & 1/2 foot ugly stick. I have never caught anything over 10 on it but for small cats it a fun time. If it scentimental value though I would put it up and get ssomething else.

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Prostaf are not real old 10 maybe 15 years if my memmory is right . If you get a chance to buy an old 888 big plastic reels are still good to fish with for most catfish. but if you caatch a really big one make sure the drag is set right. Open the reel and see if it has brass gears. and not the pot metal ones. brass gears will last a lng time . If it is sentimental clea it lub it and display it. I have my fathers first steel pole with all the reels he used on it. I still use it once in a while for pan fish with his last zebco 33 classic.

13. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was talking about the diawa magforce. I bought mine in the mid 80's. Sorry for the confusion. I don't own a prostaff. I have three 808's.

14. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I would say keep them as antiques and buy something new like mellon said.