Wanting to get into trapping

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by countrycat15, Sep 9, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey yall,i have been thinking about getting into trapping but i do not know where to start(were to get traps,how to set them ,and stuff like that). i have set rabbit boxes before and cought a few but other than that i am completly lost.

btw-im 15 yrs old and need something to do this winter when im not fishing. so any info yall have will be greatly appretiated.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well in my opinion the first thing you should do is go to the local bookstore and purchase a copy of Fur,Fish Game magazine thats how I got started theres all kinds of inexpensive little trapping [how to books] and lots of supply dealers to choose from plus its good wholesome readin wish you luck

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ps ive been a FFG subscriber since 1973 lol

4. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    what do you plan on trapping?i believe i have some #2 and #3 leg hold traps i would let go for half price.but you may be better off getting new ones by the time you pay shipping.pm me if interested.

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not sure if they offer it in your area, but when I was your age I took a Trapper Education course. They'll teach you everything you need to know about land and water trapping.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    You can go to your local library check out some books on trapping or you could get with someone in your area that traps. Most trappers don't mind at all helping someone get started trapping. I taught hunting and trapping courses here in ohio for years and its manatory here before you can get a license. You might want to check with your local DNR and see what the regulations are where you live and they may have some books or pamphlets that can help you out and if you have any other questions about trapping just pm me.

7. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    if your lookin to get into trappin, u can go on the internet and get some info or goto your local dcnr and they'll have pamphlets and can put you in contact with the right people....

ive been doin it for a while,, me and my dad has been trapin for years,, its fun......

8. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    dont know why smitty didnt answer. hm..... well ive been a FFG subsciber for about 3 years. great magazine. i think your probably a little late to start for this year but hey i started last december 26th when i got my first box trap for coons. but focus your money and time and research for next year. start out with muskrat and coon like i am and then next year step up your game with coyotes and fox and other higher paying furs. just learn the basics for next year. go on google. youll be just fine for next year. get traps then dye then wax and your good to go!

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for your post's guys i will cheack out tht magazine