Wanting to Change boat layout

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BigCatter54, Jul 14, 2009.

1. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hi, I have a 2005 1860 G3 which I am wanting to modify. I really want to move my console forward and do away with my bait tank, but would like some opinions before I try to crack into something like this.

1. Do you think I will have enough cable in my boat to move the console up that far? If not, how hard is it to get more connected would I just have to get new cable for steering and electrical stuff?

2. Doing away with the bait tank........it drains straight out the bottom, how hard would it be to permanently plug up that hole....still want to use existing pump for my custom maid bait tank to take it s place.

I am wanting to do this because I would like to add 2 captains chairs that can swivel 180 degrees to make fishing out of the back of the boat alot easier.

Thanks for the input.

Chad

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    can you weld aluminum or know someone who can?

If so plugging the hole will be easy.

Just guessing I would not think you would have enough excess length in your controls to move them forward more than a few inches.

Bill(RiverRat) did basically the same thing on his 2072 SeaArk and he had to get new control cables.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009

3. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Chad, I thought about doing the same thing with my 1860 VPT, but came up with this instead. Works great and is comfy.

Attached Files:

4. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey Chad

I just finished moveing my consol forward and adding another one,
    I had to buy new steering cable and throttle cable and a new cable for the gate on the jet drive, you wont have to do that, but you will need a new steering cable and throttle cable, your electrical cables should be long enough, they make them extra long from the factory,

it is not hard to do, the steering cable was about a 100 bucks, and throttle cable was like 25 bucks, they are both easy to swap out,

cliff

5. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Bud, I have a 90 4 stroke on the back which makes the back set lower than i really want it to, so adding two grown men that close while I know it would be ok, would rather move the console up. Gives me options though.

6. MuddyWisker

MuddyWisker New Member

State:
    SD
    Why do most boat manufacturers install the console so close to the back bench seat. It makes it so tough to put lines out the back. Moving the consoles forward a ways allows for swivel seats to be mounted to the floor. I fish the Missuori River most of the time and my only option in the fast current is to put the line out the back. Attention all jon boat builders: WE WANT CAT BOATS, NOT BASS BOATS!

Sorry, for the rantin and ravin

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Build a boat. Just like you want it.

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've seen several boats with the swivel seats in place of the bench seats. Just have to order it up that way. Seaark has this option as well as several of the jet boat dealers around home here.