Wanting info on mushroom hunting

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FloridaBoy, Feb 16, 2007.

1. FloridaBoy

FloridaBoy New Member

State:
    Florida
    I live in Florida and I'm interisted in hunting morels, and other eatible mushrooms any info would be greatly apericated ie: like where they normaly grow and what time of year they grow , I have an autobhan guide all ready to help ID. them. Thanks for the help.

2. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I dont trust myself ,so I go picking with people that know how. I do know that morels are a spring thing , there actually not mushrooms, those I know how to identify. The rest grow in the fall !

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Around here the morels will start appearing when the ground temp is about 50. Groves of Elm trees, Sycamore trees and some fruit trees are good places to look for them, although I have found them on the edge of pastures away from the timber a little ways.

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Morels are easy to find in the spring here in Ohio...don't know about where
    your at. Stay away from other types of mushrooms, morels are easily identified, there are other edible mushrooms, but I never chance it.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like others have said, I also know nothing about when to look in FL. I have a couple of spots that I find them every year, so it's not much of a hunt. I just get a hunch on when they will be there by the weather. The day after a good spring shower with some sunshine, air temp. in the low 70s. I don't check the ground temp., but they say 50 deg. Dappled shade either on the northern edge of a wooded area, or in a "hole" in the canopy of the woods around dead, but still standing elm and other hardwoods. My honey hole is near a cedar grove. Around here, if you can find may apples(mandrake), and gooseberry bushes, there's a good chance you will find morrells near by. The leaves on the ground must be damp underneath them. If the leaves are crunchy, you are wasting your time. The only way to learn is to get out there and do it. Search until you find them. Could take hours, and hours, days maybe, but after the first time you find them, it gets easier. My favorite time of year is when the dogwoods begin to blossom because I know the crappie are spawning, and the mushrooms are "popping". Good luck on your endeavor.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I get my at the store

7. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I love mushroom hunting here in missouri,usually in may.They make a great breakfast with eggs.Not sure when to start looking in Florida,Sorry.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

I am afraid you will be hard pressed trying to find morels in Florida. If you do, tell the local news paper and TV station it would be big news! lol
    You can do a search like I just did and find many morel clubs and informative sites. Last two weeks in April and the first two of May produce the most here in Ohio. Good luck

9. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    do a search on the site the great morel it has about any information you would want including state by state sighting reports

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Good place for general mushroom & morel info is MushroomExpert. Do a web search, they have the most accurate info of any place I know. I don't think morels grow in Florida.

11. FloridaBoy

FloridaBoy New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for the sights guys they are alot of help.

12. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I seen some fellows picking mushrooms in a cow pasture early one morning last summer......not there very long though before the police got em..

13. FloridaBoy

FloridaBoy New Member

State:
    Florida
    Once I tried those made me feel like my hands were melting into the wall and the next day I had the worst headache ever so I don't care for those kind at all... only the kind that are good to eat and don't mess with your head.