wanted to buy or maybe trade

Discussion in 'BUY AND SELL - MAKE $$$ - GET CHEAP DEALS' started by pitbull1078, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pitbull1078

pitbull1078 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I need a bank sinker mold. I cant afford a new one or really even a used one. Im looking for one that goes up to at least 5oz

2. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I can tell you how to make a dandy mold on the cheap>>>

Here is how ___ Take 1 thick piece of timber ( landscape timber, 4x4 post or even an old tree limb.)
    Get a wood paddle bit, I have also used regular drill bits...Whatever size you like.
    Bore some holes in the wood about 1" space between them..The deeper the hole the heavier you can make the sinker.
    The paddle bit will leave a pointy starter hole in the bottom, put a sheet rock screw in there, tighten it up

The fun part..You know all them small chunks of solid strand romex(copper wire) well strip the insulation off of that, cut the bare solid wire into 3" long or so pieces..
    Bend this wire into a tight U shape,, now stick this into the hole,,poke it into the wood a little bit.

Now pour your molten lead into the holes...if the copper floats up do not grab with fingers and stick back in..TOO HOT..

Now let cool and turn upside down and beat on it and they will come out.

The first few batches will be a bear coming out..But when the wood is good and burned they almost fall out..

You could taper and smooth the hole with a drum sander or some head porting stuff....

I used my landscape timber (4 footer with 30 holes) for over 20 years.
    The deeper the hole the harder it is to get the sinker out.
    I do have some 1" wide x 2" deep

Most of my copper is 12Gauge solid copper.
    hope this helps

3. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Good post Jeff..reps to ya

4. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for that great idea Jeff. I know I will try this out for sure. Reps to you for this post:big_smile:

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I would watch doing this with treated lumber due to the chemicals they are treated with and the heat from the lead. Just a thought, as if the lead fumes are not bad enough.:big_smile:

6. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Of course do it outside...This wood thing happened because of my dad (i was 14) he was green horn at casting lead, and the mold would not fill to the top... his brain went in reverse mode and he cooled the mold with water.

Told me to hold the mold and whatever i do do not drop it,,I am in the kitchen on my knees holding this sinker mold over a 5 gallon bucket of water...because his idea is to quench this thing in the water or something.

Enter my world...
    So he pours the lead and BOOM...led flys onto my face my arm and my dukes of hazzard shirt!!!

Well being told what to do i stay put and just grit my teeth and hold the mold without moving.....
    He yells out drop the mold , put some water on your face...next i go to the bathroom and pull all the lead off my arm and face...

A little vaseline and whatever.....
    I like my wood molds.

KEEP WATER AWAY FROM LEAD...
    And PLAY OUTSIDE with your TOYS:big_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.