Wanted: Knowledge on Alton area.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by duck_killr, Aug 18, 2007.

1. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I am planning to head down to alton on Aug 25 and fish for big blues. Just wanted to get any useful advise on the area. Would like to know about possivle hazzards, What boat ramps to use. Anything that might help me. I have never been on the river down there, but a friend said it was good below the chain o rocks. All information will be appriciated. I just got all my big cat gear put togather and i am excited to tie one on. By the way i am not asking for your way point I just want some general informaiton.

Thanks,

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sorry, but it's been a few years since I was calling Alton my prime fishing area. I went a couple of weeks ago to the MO/Miss confluence below Alton, but we didn't go up to the dam area. There are plenty of folks here who fish it regularly and would be far better at telling you the current conditions. However, most of them are away this weekend. There should be plenty of posts by them when they return.
    Last I heard, the bite was fantastic, but the ramp was shallow (this is below the dam). Not sure if very many of them ever fish above the dam much. Right now seems to be between the confluence and the dam, where the bigguns are at.

3. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I'd like some info on the Alton area also. I'm new to the river. New to river catfishing also. And new to this forum! :eek:oooh: I've fished the Mississippi about 3 or 4 times above the dam, but haven't done any good. So any tips, or suggestions on my set up would be greatly appreciated.
    I've been fishing with my bass setups so far.

But...

My birthday was yesterday.. I got a cast net (first one), and abu garcia ambassador 6000, and a 7' Berkley Big Game rod. I put 5o lbs. Spiderwire Stealth braided line on. I put 50 lbs. mono backer, and mono leaders on it. I also got some #8 circle hooks, and 3,4, and 5 oz. pyramid sinkers. I'm about set up for these big fish.

I'm planning on going down below the dam to catch some bait. And then starting the search for BiGbLuE from there.

I haven't got these catfish off my mind since I went out with the family on the river for the first time about 3 weeks ago.

Help me!!! I've caught the fever!!
    Thanks,
    Dan

4. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Oh yeah, heres my biggest, and only catch so far with my bass fishin' setup. I've got some work to do. LOL

Attached Files:

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    LOL Great! I couldn't stop laughing. If this keyboard stops working because of spitted out tea, you owe me a new one. LOL
    Welcome to the board, ya started out right with a good laugh. You'll fit in well.

Only fault I can find in your new setup is the sinkers. First off, pyramids don't hold in that fast current as well as NoRolls or even bank sinkers. Not that it matters, where you are going, you won't have them long anyway. That area has got to be lined with lead by now, with all the sinkers it has eaten over the years. I suppose the average sinker makes it through, oh, about 2 casts. It's prime fishing area, so don't let that hold ya back. Most folks I know who fish places such as that, use a drop line for the sinker. That line is about half the strength of the rest of the line. That way, when your sinker gets hung up, and it is almost always the sinker, not the hook, you won't lose your whole set up.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You are in a good spot for big cats. The fishing may be slow at times just as it can be anywhere else but you always have the potential for the next bite to be a monster.:eek:oooh:

There are others here who could give you better advice and they will chime in soon enough.

I have done well there (during the daytime even), and I don't really know what I am doing. LOL:wink:

7. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I just purchased four Surge rods. I replaced my rod holders with drift masters, and now I am in the process of installing my new depth finder. I also want to fish around columbia on the Missouri, i have a sister that lives over there. So it will be convient for me to stay the night if i fish too long.

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is simple Darryl... Beginners luck!:big_smile:

9. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    Hey I just got off River Guages .com and the forcast for the river around Alton is supposed to rise this weekend. Just wondering how this will affect the fishing down there. Also the debree in the river. What kinda of weight do you guys fish.

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Rising is good. The boat ramp below the dam was barely usable yesterday so rising is definately good in that respect.

Debris in the river should not be a problem other than keeping a normal lookout as you always should.

Generally takes an 8 oz. no-roll to hold bottom below the dam. You can get by with much less further downstream but I usually stay with the 8 oz. all the time. If you fish at the confluence I don't know what it takes to hold bottom because I don't usually fish there and the current is stronger. Again, someone else will help you out there.

Bait can be tough to find at times.

11. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I live two hours north of alton on the mighty miss. I plan to go out several time this week after work for bait so all i have to do is launch my boat and find giant cats.

12. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    If you launch at the dam, then try the first feeder creek on your right below the launch for bait. Both outside and in --- I haven't had too much problem getting both big shad and asian carp (usually less than 30 minutes for dozens of each). Watch out for the low spot right as you enter the creek, it can get a prop. I usually use my t-motor and cast my net all around it and even on top. Sometimes I need to get out in 12-14feet of water, but I've always been able to get ample bait. Once night falls, you can motor around in the same area and plenty of asian carp will jump in the boat.

As for fishing locations, I'm not much help. I went the other night and caught 4 in anywhere between 30-50 feet of water. They were all in different spots between the dam and the confluence, so it wasn't much of a pattern. I went Saturday morning in the same exact spots and caught zero (I did have two decent slams). With that said, any bite can potentially be a dandy -- so I keep at it.

13. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I'm planning on going out Friday after work to fish below the dam finally. We're going to lock thru the dam. It'll be my first time locking through. :confused2:
    After I lock thru going downstream, is the creek off to the right to look for bait? Where do you guys suggest I start looking for big blue? I figured I'd just start as close to the dam as I could, and work my way down as the evening went on. Think I should be fishing along the ledge of the channel?
    What are your opinions on using 2- 4 or 5 oz. weights on my rig? Is there a problem with using more than one weight? And where do you guys get these big ole' weights at? Wal-marts biggests that i've found are the 5 oz.ers.
    I keep reading that big baits are the way to go for big cats. How big is too big?
    Thanks for the help guys. And the welcome to forum.
    Dan

14. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I just finished wireing my Lourance LCX-28C HD last night I am going on a bait run tonight, it will be the first time for me to try the sonar out. I was playing with the GPS unit in the back yard last night. This unit is awsome.

15. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Dan,

I'm probably the last one that should be posting, but I can catch bait. The first creek on the right as you head down the Mississippi is the location I'm talking about.

As for the sinkers, I get the big ones 8-10oz at bass pro. I have had to tie two 4 oz'ers on in a pinch and it didn't seem to affect things. I usually use a 12 to 18 inch leader.

As for how big is too big in regards to bait.....we had a 5 lb blue suck down a 9 inch carp fillet the other night -- it might be a fluke but if you seen the mouths of 30lber and up, it seems they would be likely to handle all you got. My fishing partners always want to downsize in order to catch the smaller ones, but I'm always reluctant as I have visions of "Nessie".

If you figure out where to go, please let me know. I haven't patterned those things one bit. There are a couple of deep holes 50ft+ that some folks fish, but it is really hit or miss for me. I suspect I need more data points and time on the water.

Greg

16. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Yeah, I guess for now, I'll just use a couple 4 or 5 oz.ers. Till they are gone at least. Sounds like it shouldn't take long. :smile2:

I'll let you know how we do friday night. It should be interesting.

I'm going to install a new marine radio on my boat tomorrow. I figure it might come in handy some day. It'll at least come in handy while trying to lock through. Channel 14 is the melvin price dam, right? Anyone ever locked through? It should be day light while we are locking down the river. I was wondering how it would be locking back through at night. Hopefully it's lit up pretty well.

Dan

17. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Went last night and there is plenty of water to put in at the dam. It actually came up a bit since last Saturday. As Darryl suggested, the bait was a bit tougher to gather. I had to get on out in 14-16 feet of water but I caught plenty of big gizzards; unfortunately, I wanted the asian carp. We caught a few to hold us until dark, where we then just motored around in the same area after the sun went down and plenty jumped in the boat.

Tried the same 3 spots that produced last Wednesday to no avail.......I don't get it.....thought I had it figured out. We did muster a 16lber and 12lber off a ledge in 41 feet of water -- both hit on the carp fillets. Fished from 7 until 11.

18. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    Greg, from what i understand Blues are nomads which means they are not going to be in the same wholes all the time. I went out and got 30 skipp jack for saturday last night some pretty nice ones too. I got three that were around 14 inches. Thursday i am going out for bait again.

19. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    Looks like I am not going to fish at Alton this weekend. I am heading to the missouri about mid state to meet a friend.

20. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Las time I was up that way I whent to Bluff City Tackle. They are online and about a mile east of Fast Eddys on the right off of Broadway (hwy 3) They had some good prices on sinkers and I think they were up to 16 or 20 oz./ John I am having a tough time finding those skippys right now any tips? I cant even find a good spot to catch those toothy mouth herring. Any help would be appreciated