Want to try shad and herring but...

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by harper81, May 14, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    As many of you know from my other posts, I am stuck on the bank. So without the ability to catch these bait fish myself where is the best place to purchase some (near Sumter or within an hour) and what is the average cost? I would guess somewhere around Marion, but where is the best deal or are they about the same price anywhere you go?

2. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i bank fish to but i have a net that i throw out from the bank to catch bait fish. have you tried that?

3. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I don't have a net and I haven't ever seen either fish in the area I fish. I am sure they are there, just not right next to shore where I can see them.

4. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    95% of the bait you catch in a cast net you don't see any way...you would be very surprised at how much bait you catch throwing a net from the bank...buy yourself a cast net and practice with it and catch your own bait.

5. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    theyre only 15 dollars

6. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Where are they at for $15? I didn't even see any on eBay for $15.

7. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Wal-mart has them for less than $20.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you can catch all the shad you want most of the time behind wateree dam from the bank.

9. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    White perch and bream are good baits that can be caught with lite tackle off the Santee State Park fishing pier. With worms. Take a 5 gal bucket and catch all you want up to 30 per person. I do this on a regular basis.

10. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    like the guy above said walmart. thats where i got mine from.

11. wildusaf

wildusaf New Member

State:
    SC
    hey bill, the bx has the cast nets and so does wally world. i was gonna get one. but if ya get one maybe we can take my boat up to wateree lake on sat and stock a cooler up with baitfish. i got a huge freezer in my garage that i keep bait in.

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    dan thear ant nouse frezzing bate in this country you can allways catch fresh anytime anywhear.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    You dont need a boat to get shad.. I fish from my boat 50% of the time... I catch shad everytime I go....

14. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    roundhill hit the nail on the head...fishing with previously frozen bait (even if only frozen for a week or two) will result in alot less strikes...i did not buy into that when i first heard people talk about it but i have tried it several times and you just can't beat the fresh bait !!!!!!...frozen bait will still catch fish but if you are looking for a big fish your odds of gettin one will be much higher if you take the time to catch or buy fresh bait.

15. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Went to wally world and picked up a net today. I got a 6 footer. Practiced for a little while with just about every technique I could find. It seems that one of the ones that I have to put the net in my mouth works the best for me. I am not too keen on putting the net in my mouth after it has been drug across a river bottom, but I guess I will get over it. Anyway going to take it to the river tomorrow and we'll see what we get.

16. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good luck bill..i hope you get some big skips and shad