Want to try NOODLING for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    This sounds real crazy but the spot I fish has a couple large boulders(half on the bank and half in the river). When the river is low, I can see there is a undercut which goes about 4 ft in. I would like to noodle it. Can you guys give me a lesson on NOODLING 101????

2. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Id love to go noodlin' sometime.....it looks like tons of fun.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Please don't do it.

4. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    I'll let ya'll have it I'm not puting my hands no where I can't see them. lol

5. adamf

adamf New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i heard you can caught some monsters doing it

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'd love to go and WATCH someone but I ain't stickin my hand in there either! But this time of year I would thing catch and release would be the thing to do.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yeah definately catch and release

I think it would be a blast to go noodling
    and i am gonna do it at a local pond

but i am gonna use a stick to make sure BIG OLE MR.SNAPPER aint waitin to get a finger lol

but yeah i think this would be really cool to do

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I will watch you guys but I will not put my hands a catfish mouth.

9. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    Yep I can see a new post now bad day at noodling lost a finger when I stuck my hand in a hole.lol

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If there was no threat of accidently noodling a snapping turtle, beaver, muskrat or mink or something, I'd give it a try. I'd just hate to lose some fingers to a snapper or corner a frightened beaver. Good luck if you try it though.

11. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    wait till u stick ur hand in a deep hole and somethin grabs it that u don't want. somethin with teeth. i'm stickin to my rod and reel

12. Repete

Repete New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not no Heck no my mama only raised one dummy and he died Bungee jumping.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Noodling is like aligator wrestling. You learn on the first try. It is reasonably a safe sport, far more than sky diving or such. We would cut a willow stick about 6 foot long, and 1/4" diameter on the small end which we cut to a 45 degree angle. Strip off all the little limbs until the stick is smooth. Then we would wade around poking the stick under rocks, logs etc until we felt something like an old rubber boot filled with water. You can actually hear the sticks "thunking" sound as you poke it under the rocks. When you feel the soft body, you start puching it with the stick until you tick it off and it snaps at the stick. Pull the stick out and look at it. If it is cut at a different angle, its a beaver - leave it alone. If it is smashed, its a turtle, leave it alone also. If it has fine scratches, it's a cat and you can go for it.,

14. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    Noddling is illegal in Indiana. I always wanted to try it though. Somewhere it's legal to do it. Have a good one, Chuck.

15. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Im a self taught noodler. I have never kept, and will never keep any fish from noodling. There just isnt as much sport in it. But there is no funner way to catch a fish then with your barehands.

Ive caught a 4# channel and a 10# flathead.

The way I catch the fish is use whatever body parts you can to block up the exits. Reach in and feel where the fish is. Work your way around to the mouth and grab the mouth just like you would when you pick them up from the water. Flatheads dont seem to bite, or not nearly as hard. Channels and blue will lock down though.

16. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I'd drop a 5 inch gill on a 8.0 circle hook in front of there.
    I like my fingers the way they are.

17. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have always been intrigued by this. If I were you, I would use some heavy gloves for protection. :lol: Let us know how it goes.

18. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I did it when I was younger and I/m still alive. However I would not do it now. One guy had a good ideal with the stick. Like others, Ain/t gonna stick my hand in some hole and get it bit off. I read a story where a big ole flat head broke a guys arm, another one where it dragged a guy down the river and drowned him. They are probaly just storys but I/m not taking the chance. Those beavers have some big teeth and snappers would just snap your fingers off.

19. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you get one please post pictures of the fish and your fingers. Attached or unattached. (HAHA) Be careful, go with a friend.

20. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i have an old friend that has noodle fished for 50 years. he even does it for snapping turtles. He says that snappers always go in head first and you will feel the shell and tail before the head. I have been out with him several times and seen him pull some nice 10-15 pound flatties out and one huge turtle (wouldn't fit in a big rubbermade trash can). seems crazy and i'll continue to look at noddling as a spectator sport, but good luck!