Want to stock blues

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by argolake, Apr 12, 2008.

1. argolake

argolake New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does anyone here know where I can get a couple hundred blues in the 3 to 8 pound range to put in my lake? I am near atlanta.

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the BOC I would say look at your local fisheries, that sales cats, and check with them

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Welcome to the Boc AL,

Good Fishing you will have in that lake in a couple years..Sometimes you can find them in the paper in the classified section,,( stock fish) or something like that Good Luck to you and the:wink: lake.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    call your local dnr office they can prob. tell you where to get them

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    your county extension office should be able to get you going

6. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The Mississippi river!:smile2::smile2::smile2:I am truley sorry, I couldnt help it!

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Here are the few I could find in Georgia.....
    Divergent Natural Interests, Frederick D. Hays, P.O. Box 241, Elkview, WV 25071. (304) 548-7117; E-mail sustainableresources@hotmail.com Grass Carp, Koi, Gold Fish, Largemouth Bass, Hybrid Striped Bass, Bluegill, Hybrid Bluegill, Red Ears, Catfish, Bull Frogs, Bullhead Minnows, aquatic plants, aquaculture consulting.
    Flowing Springs Farm, Steve Haines, P.O. Box 92, Delray, WV 26714. (304) 496-1028. trout, catfish. fsf@citlink.net channel catfish.

Rainbow Head Farms, Mike Nardella, 309 John St., Clarksburg, WV 26301. (304) 842-8800, rainbowheadfarms@yahoo.com . Sells trout food fish and fingerlings, catfish fingerlings, grass carp and bass fingerlings. Bluegill (hybrid and Georgia giants), fingerlings, adult yellow perch, and koi. Web site: www.rainbowheadfarms.com
    Zetts Tri-State Fish Farm and Hatchery, Andrew Zetts, 878 Hatchery Road, Inwood, WV 25428 (304) 229-3654. channel and bullhead catfish. Hope this helps you out, good luck....

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe you will find that blues are not like perch. They will not necessarily spawn in a small lake. They require optimum conditions, extremely good habitat, and plenty of accessible partners. I know of a person who put several hundred into Guthrie Lake over a period of a few years, but none have spawned, and that was back in the mid 90's. They recently caught a 32 lb blue and a 52 pound blue out of the lake, so some of the initial stock is still there. However, when the ODW conducts a shocking program at the lake, there are no small blues. Channels may be a better bet for your lake stocking.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You have moving current in the lake?( spring fed? )if be, they just might spawn out.according to a article I read a few yrs back.,
    Anyway good luck with your lake..even if they don't spawn, in a few yrs you will have one heck of a fishing hole..LOL.:smile2::smile2::wink:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'd check with my local county agent. Here's what I found online:
    "Blue catfish exhibit slower growth and lower feed conversion efficiencies than channel catfish"

11. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    since you only want a couple hundred im asuming your lake isnt too big. in a smaller lake blues can eat up a bait fish population in no time. maybe you should look into channel cats