want to start a bait tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by slimdaddy, Jul 27, 2008.

1. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    just wondering if it is best to use a bilge pump to circulate the water or a agitator type like they use in bait shops mino-saver has one with a pump so you can run your water thru a filter but they are pricey would like to use a old freezer for the tank thanks for your opinions

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a small pond pump, The last one I bought was about 40 + bucks. I think the pump is about 1500 gph, use it in a 70 gal stock tank. some vinyl tubing inserted at the intake to add oxygen to the water and a two or three gallon container, filled with pillow stuffing for a filter, you are good to go.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use a pond pump also it is a 4500 gph, but i use it on 3 400 gal tanks and been using it for yrs and havent had any trouble.

4. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    [​IMG]this what i was thinking about using

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Here is the set up I threw together Keith. Got the biggest pond pump walmart had and some 1/2 tubing. Took a small drywall mud bucket and drilled 1/8 holes in the bottom about 1/4th of the way across. Put some fish tank gravel in the bottom of the bucket and pillow stuffing on top of that. With the bucket hanging above the tank it seems to put enough oxygen in the water to keep them alive.

Attached Files:

6. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    looks it would be a whole cheaper than than the agitator set up its 168.00 bucks

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Probably got around $45 in it.

8. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    got me a 250gal tank today for free now i got to get me a pump so i can get it set up what size pump should i use for this big of tank

9. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i just threw together a bait tank a few weeks ago and its a 70 gallon stock tank i have two alge eater in it that do a good job of keepin it clean and two airaters goin in it i got roughly 30 gills in it now and they have been in there the whole time and have not lost one yet works like a champ hope this info helps .. if you keep the tank outside i recomend you freeze a few 2liter bottles full of water and put them in there to keep the water cool and a thermometer in there my tank stays at 75-78 degrees..

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv