Want to save some money, big money?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Mac-b, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Have you or a friend ever had to have your lower end on your outboard fixed due to a lower seal leaking? This repair bill can run $1,200 to $2,700 if not caught at the start of the leaking seal and a high percentage of the time, it is caused by fishing line wraping around your propeller shaft. There is one way to avoid this problem and expense. When slow drifting with the wind or using your trolling motor, set your outboard gear shift in forward or reverse (with the engine cut off). This stops the propeller from free spinning around due to the current created by the drift. As the propeller spins during the drift, it will pick up any loose line floating in the water, which will then wrap it up around the shaft. How do I know this, been there, done that and it cost me some big bucks!:crazy:

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hadn't thought about that but that is darn good advice.Thanks for sharing.

3. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    makes sense.thanks for the tip

4. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    With motor in gear it also helps direct your drift in moving water.

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Thanks for the tip.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the helpful tip. This could save someone a bunch of $$$

7. schuetz

schuetz New Member

State:
    kansas
    i know on my smaller outboard, when you shift into reverse, the motor locks to keep it from free swinging away from the transom. my motor says right in the owners manual to only put it in forward gear, so if you happen to hit a log or something that you might not hit with the trolling motor, but catch with the outboard, it will simply raise up and over it. supposed to trailer it in forward also. but mine is a little ol 6hp mercury, so i may be in a whole different ballgame.

8. pappacrappie

pappacrappie New Member

State:
    big sandy,tennessee
    about 80% of the lower units i rebuild are from fishing line...nets are also bad in this area..its a good idea to pull your prop from time to time and check for line..good tip...

9. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    good point..thanks for sharing..

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing with the BOC. Good Idea.:lol:

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Dont know about keeping it out of a motor but I have donated several hundred ft to bass boats that come to close to where I am fishing and let the motor catch my line, esp when I am in shallow water. I just let them take line till I am out maybe one day they will learn alittle respect.