Want to make a homemade Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by matt, Sep 28, 2005.

1. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    Is there any body know how to make a homemade bait that will stay on the hook and will catch a big cat?

2. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    Can i make any bait whit old hamburger meat?
    please help answer my 1 or 2 answer.

3. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Check out the library on this site. There are countless recipes for some nasty baits out there.
    As for the hamburger, I've never used it, but I bet you can find a way to make it stink. Try adding garlic powder and cheese to it. That might get the stuff stinking enough. As for keeping it on the hook. Try using panty hoes to wrap the nasty stuff in and then put it on the hook. It works well.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First of all, yes, there are quite a few recipes calling for hamburger meat. The simplest one I can think of is limburger cheese mixed with raw hamburger. I tried that and didn't get a bite, but you may have different results. Generally speaking these types of baits will catch numbers of cats under 10# in weight, but aren't the best choice for bigger cats.
    Now for the bad news. IMO, the terms 'catch a big cat' and 'homemade bait' go together like 'pulling a 35' travel trailer' and 'Volkswagen'. The only exception I can think of is blood bait for blues. I did catch a fairly nice blue on salt pork, but I don't really think of that as 'homemade' because all I did to it was cut it into 1/2" pieces and put it on the hook.
    I'm sure you'll get some different opinions on this subject, and that's fine; it just proves that what works great for one person in one area may not work so well for someone else in another location. Keep an open mind and experiment!

5. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    mash up some chicken or beef livers with a potatoe masher. then add some moldy sour cream,and then slowly add flour and keep mixing until it is at a consistency that you like.

6. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Try fresh hamburburger with Wheaties, a little garlic powder. Probably not great on big cats. I am new at the big game. A few to 16# are as big as I have caught and I am still proud of 10 pounders. Best trip was 12 yellows. 120 lbs. Total. There is alot more experience on this forum. But if you try this mix if so it is pretty solid and use treble hooks or put in a square of cheesecloth. My posts are always worth about what they cost.

Jim

7. bandit06

bandit06 New Member

State:
    TEXAS, Lake Fork
    Probably be better to make a burger for lunch on the boat and use a little to catch some perch and then the perch to get your arm broke off.

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Probably correct, but it is good on the 2 to 6 Lbs cats and doesn't stink.

Jim

9. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    with my recipe you can make dough balls or dip bait depending on the amount of flour.

10. shepdog

shepdog New Member

State:
    Sherwood, Ar
    I am thinking about making my own dough bait using shad. I can get plenty of shad of all sizes down at my father-in-laws. Most recipies I have seen call for corn meal. Is the corn meal needed or is it left up to personal preference?

11. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I usually usea big turkey gizzard on a big hook, on a trout line or on a rod and reel. You also catch some turtles that way too.

12. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    use a pair of ladies tights to make a bait ball, fill it with what ever and tie to hook, failing that I wiould make a large fish and meat square boilie, that will last all day and night

13. hookem

hookem New Member

State:
    missouri
    ground up shad and add dog food with water to the thickness you want-sometimes i add peppermint x-tract for smell