Want to learn to Catfish on Lake Murray

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by LUV DEM TIGERS, May 12, 2009.

1. LUV DEM TIGERS

LUV DEM TIGERS New Member

State:
    SC
    I am a newbie on here and I grew up pond fishing for cats. Basically using chicken livers and just casting out and waiting. But now I want to be able to take my son and want to do it on Lake Murray.

1. What type of bait do you use?

2. Where do you generally get that type of bait? (I live in Irmo and will be fishing on that side).

3. How do you fish that bait?

4. What type of hook do you use?

5. Of course, I grew up night fishing, but what time of day is best for catching cats?

6. What areas do I look for to fish?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Craig welcome to the BOC ,from N.C. ask an u will recieve the info u seek

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC, but I only speak Gamecock!!!!!!!!!!! LOL! Seriously, just keep browsing around and you can find the answers to ALL your questions. I don't fish Murrray so I wouldn't be much help. Check out the BOC library for many of the answers to your questions.

Bill in SC

4. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC. I'm not an expert on Murray But there are alot of baits that will produce fish.
    1. Shad,Herring,Lucky shrimp,Perch to name a few.
    2. The PDQ on the way to the lake is carrying bait.
    3.You can fish anchored or you can drift for them. drifting will allow you to cover more ground and increase your odds for finding the fish. For this you will need a drift sock or a couple of 5 gallon buckets will do the same thing.
    4.I am a firm believer in the circle hook. when the fish bites and runs off they tend to hang themselves. they do increase the number of fish hook ups.
    5.Most of the time that will be trial and error. but for the latest reports you have come to the right place. Just open up a tread and ask has anyone been fishing on Murray and what are they bitting and you will get an answer. But as summer approches most people fish at night or real early in the morning because it can get so hot.
    6.Just use youe electronics and look for creek channels deep water closer to summer but right now they should be coming off the spawn and transitioning back to a little deeper water.

But they are a lot of people that live around and fish there just ask them they can get you zeroed in on some great fishing. Good luck.:wink:

5. LUV DEM TIGERS

State:
    SC
    This may be a dumb question but do you use live shad and herring or do you buy it live and kill it? Do you cut it up or fish it whole?

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree with backwoods, what he wrote will get you started. I sent you a friend request, maybe when I come home next time I"ll look you up and I can show you some good spots all over murray. I am originally from columbia by way of savannah GA, and my family still lives on lake murray on the chapin side{Timberlake}. I have spots marked with Gps also if you have that capalbility.

7. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    most of the time it is used as cut bait. If you have a bait tank you can get them alive and carry them with you. Most people that come by my place just have me put them in a ziplock bag and they lay them on top of their ice that will keep them fresh. The other thing about a bait tank is the added weight of all that water to transport. It is what ever you are comfortable with.
    I have seen a lot of the times the fish only want a piece about the size of a quarter. But the bigger the fish the bigger his mouth so the bigger the bait. Put some rods out with big baits even whole maybe cut with a knife so they will bleed in the water. And some with small pieces that way your bases are covered. Trial and error just keep up with what baits you have on what rods so you can change up to what ever size they are looking for. If you need On The Job Training you could get a guide like Fightn da blues "Chris Simpson" he has a wealth of knowledge and he will show you he does it. You can find him and others in th guide section on the main page at the bottom.

8. kbdeepwater

kbdeepwater New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey Craig,

I could give you a few tips. I am not much of a typist though. I fish Murray and probably know it as well as anyone. Feel free to e-mail me at keubanks@riverbanks.org.

Kevin

9. LUV DEM TIGERS

State:
    SC

I will shoot you an e-mail tonight. I have to get a little work done today.

10. LUV DEM TIGERS

State:
    SC
    Yeah, I found his website a couple of days ago and am going to try and hook up with him once I figure out my schedule. I have vacation and such coming up.

11. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    craig,you won't be sorry...took my daughter out with him for her b'day a coup'le weeks ago...she had a blast(me too)lreally good guy&guide:big_smile::big_smile: